The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Butterfly Bush

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Butterfly Bush| Next thread: Butterfly Bush »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on June 11, 2006 02:24 PM
I bought a butterfly bush last July, planted it, and it only grew to about 2 feet tall. I went ahead and trimmed it down close to the ground last fall/winter. It is either a purple emperor or a black knight... It started growing this spring to about 6 inches or so, then it got mowed down by my husband a month ago and hasn't grown any since. It's still about 4 inches tall. Is this normal? I thought that these things are supposed to grow like mad?

Thanks,
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by slredmond on June 13, 2006 07:02 AM
Hi Sarah - The mowing probably didn't make it too happy [Smile] but they are really slow to take off every year. I don't cut mine back until early spring (March) - not sure if pruning in the fall was a concern. Mine are probably only 8" right now, but they'll take off here any time.

Sandy R.
by LandOfOz on June 13, 2006 07:48 AM
Okay, then I guess I'll just try patience. Ugh. I have small children--it's not like I've got much left!! [Big Grin] Thanks for the info, I was starting to get concerned.

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Jorgie on July 09, 2006 03:38 PM
The Butterfly Bush we bought this spring is doing great.
by johnCT on July 11, 2006 02:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by LandOfOz:
I thought that these things are supposed to grow like mad?
They are. After cutting mine back to 8" or so last fall, it has grown back to about 6 feet and just started flowering last week. Sounds like your DH did not make it happy.

John - Zone 6
by LandOfOz on July 11, 2006 08:23 AM
My bush is still not doing well--has not grown any since my precious posts. It has taken on a wierd speckled yellow look--I've started giving it some fish fertilizer but it hasn't helped any. I am beginning to wonder if it has a disease. Last year I planted some sunflowers planted somewhat near it died from some sort of sunflower disease.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by LandOfOz on July 14, 2006 04:03 AM
I think I found out what I was doing wrong--apparently the roots will rot if the soil is kept wet--well I have it mulched and I have been watering it daily, especially on hot days. I wonder if I've been drowning it this whole time!!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by TulsaRose on July 14, 2006 12:11 PM
Sarah, I never water my Butterfly Bush and we have had some serious shortage of rainfall the past year. They sure can't deal with too much moisture.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by LandOfOz on July 15, 2006 05:32 AM
I've put a stop to watering the mostly-dead bush, hopefully it will be able to come back next year, although I'm not going to hold my breath.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by LandOfOz on July 18, 2006 06:44 AM
ANOTHER PROBLEM! Last Friday I planted another butterfly bush about 5 feet from the one that I've killed. I didn't bother to water the plant, as the ground was rather wet from a recent rain. Well since Saturday we've had 101+ temps and the leaves have started to almost curl. I gave the plant some water this morning--but it still looks unhappy. I've attached a pic with the hope that someone can tell me if this plant is happy or not. Butterfly Bush

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Stephen McMillian on July 18, 2006 08:11 AM
Sarah. Planted a new one about 6 weeks ago. It had one stem about 24" long and now it has about "20. Flowers galore. I water it well once a week and its planted in a corner where the garage meets the house and I planted it on a hill of dirt about 6 inches above ground level(for drainage) It gets afternoon sun only. Might be that the location of your plant it causing some of your problems
by LandOfOz on July 18, 2006 08:26 AM
My plant gets full sun... probably a good 10 hours a day. Is that too much?

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Butterfly Bush| Next thread: Butterfly Bush »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: