The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Butterfly bushes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: butterfly bushes| Next thread: Butterfly bushes »
Back to Thread index
by heidi_ho80 on September 16, 2005 01:51 AM
Hi, I would like some advice on these butterfly bushes that I have in my front yard. They did GREAT this year and got HUGE (they were planted last year) I would like to know if I can split these, and how because I would love them in other places in my yard. also when is the best time to transplant a healthy plant, spring or now. and how much should I cut them back. (I cut them off, at the ground, last year cause I thought they were weeds hehehe) I live in south west Michigan zone 6 any info would be great.
here is a picture
PS I have been cutting the brown done blooms off are you suppose to do that? ok maybe I won't put a picture because I don't know how.. oh well Thanks Again!
by mike57 on September 16, 2005 06:04 AM
[wayey] HI heidi_ho80 Heres a rule to go by.
Divide and transplant spring bloomers in the fall and divide and transplant fall bloomers in the spring.On Butterfly Bush's I prefer dividing and transplanting in the spring because the foliage has died back. This Will also give them an entire growing season to become established in their new spots.
Butterfly Bush's can ( ONLY) be divided if there is more than one trunk at the base.Normally because they are so woody they are propagated from cuttings not divisions.I prune mine back in early spring i leave them about 8 inches tall but some people cut them to the ground.hope this helps.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by plants 'n pots on September 16, 2005 08:03 PM
Heidi - those brown blooms that you are cutting off have tons and tons of seeds on them. I usually deadhead mine during the growing season too, but at the end of the season I leave a few on the bushes.

You wouldn't believe how many baby bushes I get the following spring underneath the original bush!!! [thumb] Once you learn how to identify them [thinker] , and don't pull them out thinking they are weeds [Frown] , you can let them grow a bit, and then transfer them anywhere in your yard that you like, making sure to water them in well. [Cool]

I went to a plant swap this past May, and took many of these baby bushes in 6 inch pots to trade. They were all taken in less than a minute! [clappy]

Good luck, Lynne

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by johnCT on September 16, 2005 08:19 PM
Lynne, do the seedlings usually come true to type from the parent plant? Thanks.

John - Zone 6
by plants 'n pots on September 16, 2005 09:03 PM
Hi John ~

Sorry I can't answer that for you, because I had originally planted 3 different colored bushes together in the same area, and the babies have been some of each.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by johnCT on September 16, 2005 11:19 PM
Oh well, its still worth a try I guess. Thanks.

John - Zone 6
by heidi_ho80 on September 19, 2005 08:45 AM
Thank you all for your advice!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: butterfly bushes| Next thread: Butterfly bushes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: