The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Buterfly Bush

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bush type zucchinni| Next thread: butterflies at play »
Back to Thread index
by 2 many plants on August 21, 2006 03:04 PM
Why is my Buterfly Bush's leaves turning brown?
Maybe too much water?
by patches1414 on August 21, 2006 06:19 PM
I'm not sure if too much water would cause the leaves to turn brown, but I know Butterfly bushes tend to be fairly drought tolerant. Although they do require more water during the hotter summer months, but not a whole lot. Perhaps it's the extreme hot temperatures we've experiened this summer that are causing them to turn brown.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by LandOfOz on August 22, 2006 02:47 AM
There are a few things. I could be spider mites. To check for this put a piece of white paper into the bush (on a sunny day) shake the branches a little and see if there are any moving specks on the paper. There are a lot of products to treat mites with just make sure that it specifically says it kills spider mites. Also, too much water can make the roots rot. They only need a good, deep watering once a week or so, if there is no rain. Last, but not least, it could have a fungus. I have a butterfly bush and have been having similiar problems with it. Even the local nursery center is stumped. I was told that the first year getting "established" is the worst for butterfly bushes, after that they are relatively care free. (Although spider mites love them every year!)

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bush type zucchinni| Next thread: butterflies at play »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: