The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Butterfly Bush

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: butterfly bush.| Next thread: Butterfly Bush »
Back to Thread index
by catlover on April 21, 2005 06:43 PM
[flower] Email question from Deborah!

Hi. I was wondering if anyone can help me. I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago and planted 5 butterfly bushes last fall in full sun and excellent soil. So far, this spring, I don't see any signs of emerging growth. I have read that butterfly bushes bloom in late summer until frost, but shouldn't I at least see some greening up at this point? Thanks in advance for your help.

Deborah

-
 -
 -
by phoenix on April 21, 2005 06:59 PM
[wayey] hello again

i have a purple emperor butterly bush that has not "started" yet either. i cut all the dead wood off from last year too,hoping that that may help it come back quicker ( i think i'm a little impatient) i have mine in a big planter pot. so i'm not too sure it's roots wintered well [tears]
but i'm hoping that within the next couple of months we will see some activity [grin]
let us know how it turns out

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by BFVISION on April 22, 2005 03:27 AM
[wayey] Have no fear, it will be back [Love] . I live in northern zone 6 and worried about the same issue last year. It seems in the colder climates they sleep a little bit longer [nutz] . As was mentioned, trim it back pretty good and you will soon see little green shoots emerging from the base. Mine hit last weekend and even got a few on old wood. They really are great plants and the seeds will have new ones springing up everywhere [gabby] .

Good Luck
BFVISION

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by PAR_Gardener on April 23, 2005 08:49 AM
Catlover/Deborah,

I'm a cat lover too [kitty] , and I live in the Chicago suburb of Schaumburg. Ditto with the other posts. I just did some spring cleaning where I cut out the woody stems from last year. I think there was some new growth just starting this past weekend when the weather was in the 80s. Of course it's supposed may snow tomorrow. [scaredy]

You said that you planted your butterfly bush in the fall. Were the plants dormant when you planted? I've planted all my butterfly bushes in the spring, so I don't know if that will make a difference. Native butterfly bush is very hardy. Special breeds may not be as hardy, but we'll find out in a few weeks.

I'll keep you posted on my butterfly bushes if you keep me posted on yours. I'll try to take a few pictures as soon as they sprout.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: butterfly bush.| Next thread: Butterfly Bush »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: