The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Butterfly pics

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Butterfly Pea Flower| Next thread: Butterfly pics »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 2 1
by gardenfairy on August 12, 2006 02:50 PM
Beautiful picture!!! Whatever the dark blue is it really makes the butterfly POP!! [flower]

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by gailo on August 13, 2006 01:11 AM
Thanks! The butterflies sure like the lantana. Last year it was lavender. I think next year I will plant a butterfly bush too.

gailo
by Squirrel on August 13, 2006 05:07 AM
Great pix, all. Planted lantana this year. Just sat there for the longest time. Now it has taken off like wild fire. Just love it. And the butterflies do too. I have many butterflies this year. Different kinds and pretty. Wish I had a dig. camera! SANTA??? [lala] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by loz on August 13, 2006 06:25 AM
Here's a few of my pics today!

-

-
by Triss on August 13, 2006 06:32 AM
Nice shots Loz!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by gailo on August 13, 2006 09:53 AM
Oh is that a monarch or one of the others that look like a monarch? It is beautiful Loz.

gailo
by gardenfairy on August 13, 2006 03:39 PM
Beautiful Loz. I'm going to plant some Lantana and a butterfly bush next year and maybe I will get some more visitors!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by patches1414 on August 14, 2006 06:45 PM
Awesome picture, Galio! [clappy] I really like the dark background too! [Wink] It shows off the butterfly!

Beautiful pictures, Loz! [clappy] You all get such shots of your butterflies! [Roll Eyes]

I really need a better camera! [Frown] Sue, when you're talking to Santa, could you mention my name too! [muggs]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on August 15, 2006 01:21 AM
I love this thread!!! Butterflies are like sparkling jewels for us to enjoy. [Wink]

This beauty hung around the Rose of Sharon for a few days and then disappeared. I had never seen one before and it was fun doing the research to ID it.
 -

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on August 15, 2006 01:06 PM
The first butterfly picture - what flower is that?

PattyM
by gailo on August 15, 2006 02:17 PM
It is lantana.

gailo
by ND farm girl on August 15, 2006 02:28 PM
Oh - I see that now when I looked back on replies. I don't think I can have that up here in ND. ?? Beautiful pics!

PattyM
by gailo on August 16, 2006 02:19 AM
It would be an annual. It is an annual here too.

I have a pic of a hummingbird moth on a petunia. They are kind of interesting.

-

gailo
by TulsaRose on August 16, 2006 02:46 AM
Beautiful shot, gailo. You must have a great camera to get macros like that. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by loz on August 16, 2006 03:25 AM
I love those little hummingbird moths.....they're all over the place here! Cool picture! [muggs]
by ND farm girl on August 16, 2006 03:48 AM
I want hummingbirds!!!! [tears]

PattyM
by patches1414 on August 16, 2006 09:09 AM
Beautiful shot, Gailo! Love your pictures!

quote:
I want hummingbirds!!!!
ND, put out Hummingbird feeders and they will come!!!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by gailo on August 22, 2006 05:20 AM
I think this is called a red spotted purple. They like the wild cherries that are fermenting on the ground. They are beauties.

-

-

gailo
by Triss on August 22, 2006 06:38 AM
Love the colors and design in the top one. Those are both great shots!

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 22, 2006 08:49 AM
Beautiful pictures, Gailo. I've never seen the Red-spotted Purple. If the undersides of the wings are that pretty, what do they look like on top? Must be like stained glass. [Wink]

Wait a minute...are both of those shots of the same butterfly? Holy cow...how pretty!!!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by TulsaRose on August 23, 2006 12:30 AM
I'm not sure if this is a Spicebush Swallowtail or not. Its wings were so tattered, it actually seemed to have difficulty flying.
 -

-

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by TulsaRose on August 23, 2006 11:38 AM
It's really sad to see the Butterflies with ragged wings this late in the season. Even the Hummingbirds are fighting them for territory. I think this is an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail...
 -

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Thornius on August 23, 2006 01:19 PM
Right on BOTH counts, Rosie! [clappy]

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by TulsaRose on August 24, 2006 12:45 AM
Thanks Thornius...I'm never sure since they have so many different ID characteristics. Plus the fact I've had butterflies this year that I've never seen before. Could this be a result of the odd weather patterns and can I expect to see more varieties in the future?

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by penny in ontario on August 24, 2006 02:27 AM
Very pretty...thanks for sharing [thumb] [thumb] .
I agree that its a shame to see them with the ragged wings too!

-
 -

-
by TulsaRose on August 24, 2006 03:15 AM
Penny, if you could see the way the Hummers are bombarding the butterflies anywhere near the Rose of Sharons, you would get an idea of why their wings are so torn up. I knew they would fight each other but not the butterflies. I watched one little male Hummer attack two male Gold Finch the other day and they actually ran (flew) from him. He's just a big ol' bully. [Big Grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by penny in ontario on August 24, 2006 03:30 AM
Wow...i would never have thought that either...poor things and their wings are so delicate and the behaviour of the hummers really surprises me the most!!!!

-
 -

-
by gailo on August 26, 2006 06:18 AM
I saw a new butterfly today. It was striking and not very cooperative. I googled it. It is a red admiral also known as a red admirable.
 -

-

gailo
by penny in ontario on August 26, 2006 07:23 AM
Beautiful....thanks for sharing!!!

-
 -

-
by TulsaRose on August 26, 2006 08:00 AM
Great shots, Gailo. I've never seen one of those before. Since the color on the top of the wings is more orangey, I wonder if they named it "Red" for the stripes on the underside of the wings? Whatever...it is Admirable! [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by jakesangel on August 27, 2006 11:46 AM
Caught a pair of Pearl Crescents doing a little dance on my Black Eyed Suzies yesterday. They were so entertaining I shot a quick little video too. lol
 -
Larger Image & video here.

-
Country Roads  -
by Triss on August 27, 2006 11:51 AM
Now that is a really cool shot! And that was a great video!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on August 27, 2006 01:51 PM
That is a GORGEOUS picture, Jakesangel!!!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by jakesangel on August 27, 2006 02:52 PM
Thx guys..I love to follow them around and catch'em on camera wherever they land. The neighbors probably think I'm nuts! lol

This is a Grey Hairstreak I saw today while out in the yard. I don't think I've seen one of these here before. The wind was blowing so he's a little blurry.
 -
Larger photo here

-
Country Roads  -
by TulsaRose on August 27, 2006 11:29 PM
Gorgeous shot of the Pearl Crescents...they are a sweet butterfly. [Wink] They are so hard to shoot and take lots of patience. I have the best luck using the Sports Mode (stop action) for butterflies and birds.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gailo on September 05, 2006 02:00 AM
The pearl crescents and the hairstreak are great. We have those here too. Both of them are quick and not so easy to photo. Yesterday we were out on the Bay and a monarch hitched a ride. Then we got home and there was a monarch on my potted hibiscus. So here they are.

-

-

gailo
by gailo on September 05, 2006 07:46 PM
Got this variegated fritillary yesterday (Mon). I was playing with the frames in Paint Shop Pro and sort of liked this modern thing.

-

gailo
by jakesangel on September 05, 2006 08:00 PM
GORGEOUS! The Monarch looks like he was pretty happy deep in your hibiscus!

-
Country Roads  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Butterfly Pea Flower| Next thread: Butterfly pics »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: