The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

butterfly bush

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Butterfly Bush| Next thread: Butterfly Bush »
Back to Thread index
by Lucy on July 29, 2004 02:58 AM
Hi All,
I am also new on here. I just was searching and found this site. I love flowers and plants. I don't know that much about them yet but I am learning. I have found that playing in the dirt and planting things is great therapy!

I live in Central Virginia.

I need some help please on my butterfly bush. I cut it back this past March. Well it grew 10 ft. this spring it seems. We have had tons of rain and this bush has taken over! I swear it jumps out at you when you walk by. I need to know when can I move this bush? It is too big for where it is and I would like to plant it out in the yard where it can just keep on growing. Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Lucy [wayey]

Lucy
by afgreyparrot on July 29, 2004 03:09 AM
Lucy, what an AWESOME sounding butterfly bush!!!
Someone will come along and answer the "moving it" question, but I don't know the "proper" answer. I have moved mine at different times and never hurt them, but they weren't as big as yours! Just wanted to welcome you to the forum, and tell you that we are so glad you joined!

Nice to meet you!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by hisgal2 on July 29, 2004 03:10 AM
Did the bush bloom as much as it usually does? I ask because you trimmed it back pretty late. I was told that I should cut it back in the fall after the blooms fell off. I didn't cut it back and this year, it didn't bloom nearly as much as it did last year.

You might want to think about not trimming it. I'm not too sure on how the winter weather is there. If you don't trim the bush back, the limbs may snap under the weight of ice or snow. I lost a really nice limb from my bush this past year.

Hopfully someone will come along and tell you when you should move the bush.

Good luck with your bush......

And welcome to the forum!!! [wayey]

-
 -

-
by catlover on July 29, 2004 03:44 AM
Lucy I am going to move this thread to plants/flowers and see if we can get more of a response.
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by frustratedattimes on July 29, 2004 04:44 AM
What I have found out about butterfly bushes is that they are extremely hard to kill. My father in law had one like you are describing. He not only transplanted it but split into two plants about a month ago. He cut it back to about 3 or 4 ft. tall, and then kept it well watered. It did go into shock, but both plants are now blooming again.

Some experts are even trying to get it listed as an invasive plant, because it is so hard to kill.

That said, if you can wait till it goes dormant, then dig it up and transplant it. If you can not wait, then I would trim it back and then transplant it, and keep it well watered. It may not produce any more flowers this year but it should be fine by next year.

I hope this helps some.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by plants 'n pots on July 29, 2004 06:25 AM
Lucy ~

I've always read that one should cut them back to about 18 inches in late February. I've done this for years and have always had great success until this year. Only 3 of my 6 bushes grew back this year.

BUT... one of them has such enormous flower spikes on it right now - it is gorgeous! Looks like fireworks on the 4th of July!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by just gladys on July 29, 2004 01:50 PM
Welcome to the site Lucy! Wish you luck with whatever you decide on your B Bush! Decisions, Decisions! Have fun! [grin]

Gladys
by Bestofour on July 31, 2004 07:16 AM
I live in NC and I cut my butterfly bushes back whenever they need it and they've always grown back bigger and better. I do try to deadhead once in a while too, which I need to do right now. As far as moving one, I'd wait until October around here.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by marsha on August 01, 2004 04:36 PM
Hi Lucy,

JMHO, but I'd wait until Spring to cut it way back, and then move it while it still is dormant. That is assuming it does go dormant in your area!! I live in Mass and it disappears for the Winter here [Smile]
by Lucy on August 01, 2004 06:55 PM
Hi Marsha,

I am not sure why you said to cut it way back in the spring...that is when it starts to bloom. I think the others telling me to cut it back in the winter or fall may be the best idea for me here in Virginia. But I do thank you for your advice anyhow.

I do think that what many others said is true. It seems that nothing will kill this bush. I cut it so far back the other week because I was tired of it reaching out and grabbing us...lol
and it is still reaching out and blooming like crazy. I think I will let it continue to bloom and when it is done...cut it back!!! I will divide it like someone else said and plant it in the yard NOT near the driveway!

Thanks to everyone that wrote me! This is a terrific site. Thanks again!

Lucy

Lucy

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Butterfly Bush| Next thread: Butterfly Bush »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: