The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Buglady or anyone, flying insects!?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Meg on October 31, 2004 01:52 AM
Pests must love my yard. It's a jungle fer cryin out loud, since my mower went kaput late summer/early fall. Kids came in yelling, we have a bunch of flying ants all over the wood of the flower bed!! Sooo.. I went to look, and sure enough, some winged bugs were all over the place, like a huge swarm of them. I took some pics, and hopefully, you can tell me what these are.

-

And after I sprayed em-
 -

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Buglady on October 31, 2004 06:13 AM
They are ants ... this is what's call the alate form. They are young individuals that will mate in the near future, and the wings are used at the time of their nuptial flight. Once mated a female will find new place to start new colony and her wings will fall off.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Meg on October 31, 2004 03:01 PM
You really are the best! My kids said they were ants, they looked a bit like ants, but there were soooooo many, I mean, hundreds or possibly thousands.. you should have seen it! The only thing that was strange was the wings, that threw me off. Well, I'm glad to know it was only ants.. I've had lots of them this year.. thanks probably to all the aphids I've been fighting since late June.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Buglady on October 31, 2004 04:28 PM
yeah.. its amazing when they swarm like that. If you stand quiet you can hear them all walking around...

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: