The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

philodendron

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: philodendron| Next thread: Philodendron burned by sun! Help! »
Back to Thread index
by Lauren on January 20, 2004 04:55 AM
Thanks to Jiffymouse for the recent help in the "pests" section regarding Mold. Now I was hoping that there might be someone out there with a little expeience and advice in dealing with an older philodendron. I love plants, but other than a ficus that never grows, and the poinsettia leftover from the holidays, I don't have a lot of experience with houseplants.

The phil in question is over 40 years old, severely cut back in recent years, is barky at the bottom of the stems but falls all over the place even though the longest vine is now only about 5-feet. It used to crown and flank my Grandmother's fireplace, but when she passed away it got pretty hacked up and was going to be tossed out before I ended up with it. It is not spindly, has really good leaf size, and seems generally healthy (even when I quit watering it due to the mold).

Well, any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I would love to see it return to the grandeur it once had. Thanks.
PS - its my bday [Razz]

Lauren
by barleychown on January 20, 2004 04:59 AM
Happy Birthday ! [party] [flower] [party] [flower]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by barleychown on January 20, 2004 05:24 AM
Here's a link to get started with... until some one comes by to answer your particular questions.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/philodendron.html

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by Jiffymouse on January 20, 2004 04:35 PM
[flower] happy birthday [flower]
by catlover on January 20, 2004 05:49 PM
Happy Birthday Month Lauren!!!! [muggs]

[flower] [Confused] [party] [Confused] [flower]

Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by Will Creed on January 22, 2004 09:12 PM
A belated happy birthday and many happy returns, Lauren!

Without a photo of your Philodendron it is hard to know what kind of Philo you have and just what its condition is. If it is a vining type of Philo, the it is probably in need of substantial pruning.

The mold suggest possible overwatering. Make sure that the top quarter of the rootball gets dry before you water it. Scrape off all of the mold and the loose soil nearby. Keep at it as new mold appears. Eventually you will elimnate all of the spores.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: philodendron| Next thread: Philodendron burned by sun! Help! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: