The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

philodendron

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Philo| Next thread: philodendron »
Back to Thread index
by Lauren on January 17, 2004 04:11 PM
Please help ... My big philodendron got mold on the surface of the soil a couple monthe ago. I scraped it off but it keeps coming back. Now, the poinsettia from the holidays also has mold -- and they were not situated near each other.
Now, the poinsettia is not such a big issue; however, the philodendron is at least 40 years old, hacked up after my grandmother passed away (it used to crown and flank her fireplace and had apparently grown into the corners of the carpet, so a lot of cutting was done before I got it), In any case, I cannot let this plant die on my watch. Other than the mold it has been pretty healthy. does anybody have any advice?

And just for background, it is in about a 12-inch container, the first part of the stalks are very thick and barky but the whole plant falls all over the place -- no upright strength. Four of the leaves have small slits in them. The current longest vine is approximately 5 ft.long.

I thank you in advance for any help you can give.

--Lauren

Lauren
by Jiffymouse on January 17, 2004 04:40 PM
[wayey] hi lauren [wayey] first, let me welcome you to the garden helper. you have come to the right place. we were just talking about the topic of mold in the houseplant section. click here from what i understand, the mold won't hurt your plant, but rather is caused by the plant's soil being too moist or not being "sterile". either way, the solution is simple, first, as it appears, just scoop it off. then if the plant seems to need more soil, add a good quality (i prefer miracle grow myself) potting soil to it. also, wait until it is a little dryer before you water it. good luck and let us know how it works.
by Lauren on January 20, 2004 04:38 AM
thanks for the help, Jiffymouse - and for the cheery icons. Today is my bday and I am so depressed, but those animated waving smiley faces really made me laugh. Thanks again.

Lauren
by plants 'n pots on January 20, 2004 05:08 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAUREN !!!

-
I hope your birthday dreams and wishes come true!

And welcome to the forums - you will have great fun here!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Phil and Laura on January 22, 2004 04:11 AM
SORRY LAUREN, We missed your birthday,Happy, Happy [party] [Confused] [party] Laura's was the 19th ! and WELCOME [grin]
by Buglady on January 27, 2004 11:23 PM
If mold is on surface there is too much moisture in the soil. You can use hydrogen peroxide diluted in water to kill potential spores. This also will help add oxygen to the soil, which all plants need.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Jiffymouse on January 28, 2004 06:59 PM
[wayey] hi buglady [wayey] see you are already giving us ideas... thanks [thumb] now, about that peroxide solution, what is the ratio you use?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Philo| Next thread: philodendron »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: