The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help with my aloe plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Help with MumsMums| Next thread: Help with my apple trees. »
Back to Thread index
by trenarose on December 19, 2003 02:44 AM
I have an aloe plant that I bought that started out on a window sill. I have repoted the thing three times since I bought it. It has grown into what I call my "Monster". My monster is now soooo big that the core of the plant is bending off to one side. I do not want to let the problem go and end up hurting my Monster. Is there any way possible to trim this plant and possibly start another plant from the trimmings. I really love this plant and would hate to see it die due to over growth. Please help.
Thanks in advance,
Theresa
by loz on December 19, 2003 05:40 AM
Welcome to the site trenarose [wayey] .....So you get more assistance I am moving this post to the houseplant section....Hope to see you around here a lot!!! [Smile]
by weezie13 on December 19, 2003 06:06 AM
[wayey] Hello [wayey] trenarose [wayey]
I'd like to Welcome You to The Garden Helper's Forum.... First off I'm not too well versed with house plants, and some one with better knowledge than me will swing by shortly to give you some help, we have alot of house plant gardeners here and someone like Bill, Will Creed, Nikkal, Papito, Jiffy, Flower, Tom R, Boxmonkey, Lizheaemma, oh, my goodness, a bunch of them......

But I just wanted to Welcome another fellow N.Y.'er here to the forum, and to let you know
there's a great bunch here.....
We've got myself from N.Y. as well as Will Creed, Plants~n~Pots, Tom R, and a few others, here....
Great bunch!!! [clappy]
I hope you'll stick around and join the fun, we have several new sections here, recipes, banter hall for chatting and crafts, creativity and hobbies... feel free to add your voice to the growing numbers of gardeners here.
Don't forget to ask as many questions as it takes, and if you can help others along the way, It's always appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!
Welcome

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by plants 'n pots on December 19, 2003 02:32 PM
[wayey] [flower] WELCOME THERESA! [flower] [wayey]

I don't have the answer to your question either, but I wanted to welcome another New Yorker to the forums! [Wink] We have a little race here going with the Californians to see which coast out-weighs the other [lala] ...
though at this time of year I think weight is a very touchy subject - LOL! [Roll Eyes]

I hope some of our very bright gardeners stop by real soon and answer your question - I'm curious to know what to do also.

Have fun here and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by njoynit on December 19, 2003 06:06 PM
ya throw me off some when state the core.i just always thought of the core as the stuff in the leaves cause if make lotion with aloe you remove the core and mix and is stuff inside leaves.I have a plant aloe that was still in ground when moved an object in the garden and one got stepped on and was stepped on as to place plant all one one side.it is now potted up in kitchen on top of microwave.a few leaves were broke so took them off and let them dry about a week so were calloused over& then stuck in potting mix and have been watering.they will grow roots
when your aloe grows new leaves they grow up and when reach comffy size will lay down like rest of older ones.so plant will regain some shape over time.their roots grow shallow so a deep pot is not always needed mainly a pot with width for room.I grow mine in ground in summers.so are only potted 2-3 months of the year dec-feb maybe 2nd week march go back in ground

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Carolyn on December 30, 2003 07:37 PM
I know just what you are talking about. My mom has an aloe in her garage, which she nelects. I used to water her plants for her, but since I stopped visiting every two weeks, all of her garage plants have died, except the aloe, which apparently loves neglect. It probably hasn't been watered in at least 6 months, but didn't mind watering every two weeks, either. It is doing the slant thing, and has been for at least 5 years. So far, it doesn't seem to mind. Wish I had a photo for you, and I'll try to take one the next time I am there. It seems that aloe is almost as hard to kill as spider plants. My cat ate an entire spider plant (down to the dirt) with no ill effects to cat or plant. I didn't think the plant would come back with no way to collect light, but it did, and is now part of my Mama Plant, which has two varieties in the same pot.

Carolyn
by trenarose on December 30, 2003 11:47 PM
First I would like to thank everyone who has replied (with or without tips). I have clipped a couple of the alo pieces and let the ends dry and put them in soil. Hopefully they will grow. I have also noticed that there are three little sprouts in the pot that look to me like this plant is "having babies". [Wink] go figure. I will keep you posted.
Theresa [Smile]
by trenarose on December 31, 2003 12:00 AM
In addition to my alo plant I have two bonsai plants that are not doing very well. If anyone has any tips on them it would be greatly appreciated. I love the way they look in the kitchen and would really hate to see them go. What temp. do they need? I followed the direction on watering but that does not appear to be enough [dunno]
Thanks in advance,
Theresa [Smile]
by Jiffymouse on December 31, 2003 12:57 AM
trenarose, you aloe plant probably is having babies. they do that when they get to a certain comfort zone.
by Will Creed on January 01, 2004 07:22 PM
Bonsai refers to the way that a plant is grown, but it does not refer to the species of plant. In fact, hundreds of different species are grown as bonsais.

Unfortunately many of the traditional bonsai species are not tropical species and have little chance of surviving in the typical heated home. If your bonsai is a miniature evergreen species, then it must have cold winter temperatures lower than 40 degrees if it is to survive.

There are some tropical species that are used as bonsai. They do well indoors because they are adapted to warm temps all year long.

If you can identify the species of your bonsai, then perhaps we can advise you better on its care.
by Jiffymouse on January 18, 2004 05:36 PM
trenarose, per our earlier communication, here is some more information for you. first of all, i think that based on the tag description, you might have a boxwood bonsai. now, i don't know alot about them, but in my next post (i have to do the research) i will put some links that might help.

also, there are others will probably be along with more links. will did have a good point about the identification of the actual plant. if you could post a picture, or email one to the webmaster so that he can get it posted, we will be able to provide even more help.

in the meantime, i would use some of the "houseplant" basics on these bonsai's. first question...
have you lifted it from the pot to check the status of the root system? the roots should be firm, rather than mushy.
second, does it seem to dry out between waterings or does it seem to have water standing in it? the guides provided with plants on watering are just that, guides. they do not allow for a home's individual conditions like light sources, humidity levels, drafts, etc. not to mention a plants particular "quirks". they all have them, two plants side by side can have different needs even though they appear to be "identical".

also, did the bonsai come with instructions for trimming the branches and the roots? i do know that they are labor intensive plants compared to the run of the mill house plant. not to say they have to be messed with every day, but they can't be just left to their own devices!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help with MumsMums| Next thread: Help with my apple trees. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: