The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help w/ Jasmine plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Help w/ Gardenia| Next thread: Help w/ Northern Island Pine »
Back to Thread index
by Pellonpekko on October 28, 2003 06:18 AM
 -

recently bought one of these fellows.

the leaves keep dropping off, kinda yellow-brown and crunchy when they do, and now there is a white/grey dust on the leaves....
any suggestions?
by Flower on October 28, 2003 06:47 PM
Hi Pellonpekko

Jasmine is a fabulous plant for indoors. There are a few secrets of success when growing Jasmine.

Jasmine plants like to be cool in winter, so give them a minimum of 45F. You can bring it outside for the summer, but while it is indoors, give it bright light with some direct sun. Keep the potting soil moist (but not wet) at all times and mist the leaves frequently. You can prune it to maintain the shape and size you want.

Root rot, fungal and bacterial leaf spots, aphids, scale insects and mealybugs are among the common pests and diseases.

Try wiping the leaves with a damp wet cloth and see if the "dust" comes off.

Good luck

-
by Pellonpekko on October 28, 2003 09:24 PM
glad it's easy!
my cats keep tipping it over too. bad kitties [kitty]

i did some more research and it sounds like it might be powdery mildew. sounds like i just need to wipe her down and mist mist mist
by weezie13 on October 28, 2003 10:02 PM
You got Kitties too!! [kitty]
We're gonna have to start a kitties
club here!!! [kitty]
[kitty] Catlover [kitty] will be happy to hear
another Kitty Lover in the group. [kitty]

Welcome aboard!!!
Weezie

[thumb] Good luck with your plant!!! [flower]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Pellonpekko on October 28, 2003 10:18 PM
little hairballs. [Razz]
they like to do belly flops in my palm plant.

the only plant they leave alone is the catnip [Roll Eyes]

but a jasmine is bold new territory for me. i hope when it blooms it can overpower some of that litterbox smell
by Jiffymouse on October 28, 2003 11:53 PM
I think we are all a bunch of cat lovers around here. But there is only one Catlover on the board!! as for the kitty litter smell, I broke down and bought an electric litter box. works like magic and has more than paid for itself in lost aggravation!! [flower] [flower]
by Jiffymouse on October 29, 2003 12:07 AM
Flower/Pellonpekko, I have a question. What is the proper name for this plant? I was thinking maybe it would be a good alternative to a ficus since they are so tempermental (and I can't have that at MY HOUSE - the kids are tempermental enough!!). Any idea where I could get one?
by Pellonpekko on October 29, 2003 12:17 AM
Jasminum sp.

i just went to my local nursery and asked for jasmine.
by Jiffymouse on October 29, 2003 02:46 AM
cool! thanks.
by Pellonpekko on November 06, 2003 01:34 AM
it's got buds!!! it might bloom!!!! [grin] [flower] [kitty]
by Pellonpekko on April 08, 2004 01:19 AM
so it bloomed. then all the leaves and blooms fell off. i've trimmed back the dead twigs and now new green leaves are growing AND promptly falling off. [Eek!] [nutz]
[tears]
by weezie13 on April 14, 2004 05:04 PM
Bringing this one back to the top!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by njoynit on April 14, 2004 07:19 PM
ahh now as to jasmine latin names:
1....there are different jasmines so is different latin names
*J.angulare/-southern african jasmine
evergreen stems 10-20 ft long,rich green leaves divided into 3 leaflets white summer flowers 1 in wide borne in groups of 3 no fragrance.
*j floridum/showy jasmine
evergreen semi evergreento 5 ft high dark grren leaves divided in 3s rarely 5s clusters of golden yellow 1/2-3/4 in scentless flowers spring till fall blooms
*j.gracillimum/pinwheel jasmine
evergreen similar to muliflorum but darker leaves
*j humile/itialian jasmine-evergreen erect willowy shoots reaching 20 ft will make a 10 ft mound light green leaves 3-7 2 in long leaflets clusters of 1/2 in yellow flowers fragrant all summer bloomer.
(the one i have)
*j lauriflolium nitidum(j.nitidum)shineing jasmine or angelwing jasmine requires long warm growing season to bloom well,not hardy below 25 moderate growth 10-20 ft undivided leaves 2 in long very fragrant 1 in shaped pinwheel flowers opening from purplish buds in late spring and summer white inside purpleish outside borne in cllusters of 3 can be used as ground cover or container plant often sold as j.magnificum
*j.leratti/priviot leafed jasmine-evergreen 15 ft glossy green leaves slightly fragrant white flowers
*j mesnyi/primrose jamine-evergreen willowy arching 6-10 ft dark green leaves bright lemon yellow flowers 2 in across no scent blooms winter or spring needs space& does well tied and allowed to cascade in waterfall fashion or clip as a 3 ft hedge avoid severe pruneing.
*j multiflorum/downy jasmine-evergreen vine leaves 2 in long stems has a downy coating with a grayish effect clusters of white flowers slight scent.
*j.nudiflorum winter jasmine-decidous vine willowy unscented yellow flowers in winter or early spring
*j.officinale /common winter jasmine semi evergreen or decidous 30 ft very fragrant white flowers 1 in flowers in summer into fall
*grandiflorum/spanish jasmine climbs to 15 ft but larger blooms 1 1/2 in
*.parkeri/dearf jasmine-evergreen shrub 1 ft-1 1/2 ft shrub small scentless yellow flowers.good in rock garden
*j polyanthum/pink jasmine-evergreen(protected in LA<TX<CA)fast grower 20 ft bright green leaves lighter on underside highly fragrant 3/4 in blooms white ind=side rose clored outside borne in dence clusters late winter early spring blooms grown as ground cover or hanging baskets.
*j sambac/arabianian jasmine-evergreen 6-10 ft glossy green leaves blooms summer powerfully fragrant 3/4-1 in white flowers white
grand duke of tuscany has double blooms
maid of new orleans has single flowers & more compact& this is used in teas for jasmine tea
*jxstephanence evergreen to decdous dull green foliage evergreen in tropics pale pink flowers 1/2 in fragrant in clusters of 5 or more late spring& summer
*j volubile/wax jasmine-evergreen native to austrailia 10-15 ft 2 in long small fragrant flowers all year

now ain't all that something! [teacher]
and if anyone ever runs across somewhere selling arabian jasmine.be sure to point me there.I like jasmine tea& have started a tea garden

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Bestofour on April 16, 2004 04:08 AM
I'm really confused. My jasmine is a vine and grows outdoors. I've looked at our local nurseries and haven't even seen a jasmine tree.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Will Creed on April 17, 2004 09:48 PM
I can't tell for sure, but I suspect you have posted a photo Jasmine officinale.

Jasmine is not an easy indoor plant for two reasons. First, they must have very bright light all day long with several hours of direct sun. A western windowsill fits the bill, but the light comes from only one side, unlike in a greenhouse or when outside. Second, they need cool temps below 55 degrees in their winter semi-dormant period. That is too cold for most homes unless you have an unheated sunroom.

I suggest that you prune it back sharply and move it outside from now until temps drop below 45 degrees in the fall.

Keep your expectations low!
by creepin' jenni on April 19, 2004 04:38 PM
I bought a star jasmine last year which I kept indoors during the winter, my cats almost demolished it. I had to foster it at my sister house. It starting to grow back now but it looks more viney(?) than shrubby which is how it used to look.

Jenni

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help w/ Gardenia| Next thread: Help w/ Northern Island Pine »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: