The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help with MumsMums

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by shnhpns1969 on December 11, 2005 01:44 AM
I need help.........I bought some beautiful mums to have in pots over fall. Now they are dying with some green still visible. I'm sure this is only because of winter setting in.

My question is, what do I do to this plants if I want them to return next year?? They are still in their original pots and appear to have plenty of room. My husband said I should cut them down to the soil so they will come back next year.

Suggestions please???!!!
by tkhooper on December 11, 2005 02:38 AM
cut them down until they are four inches tall and then cover them with a leaf mulch or some other kind of light mulch. Uncover them in the spring and divide them. The part that is new will continue to grow but the woody part is on it's way out. Also you might want to plant the pot so that if it freezes the roots will be "in the ground" so they don't freeze.

-
 -
by peppereater on December 11, 2005 03:19 AM
I'm with tk on putting them in the the ground. If you just cant do that, can you bury them with leaves? Some mums are tougher than others, and cold might not be an issue, but BE SURE to water them, once if you mulch over them, once or twice a month if you don't. Cold AND dry is a killer.
by peppereater on December 11, 2005 03:24 AM
BTW, TK, I don't divide them, and as far as cutting them back, SHN, if you want to do as TK said, fine, and if you don't get around to it 'til spring, it's OK, but I would NOT cut the foliage to the ground. It could affect their cold-hardiness. I guess these plants are not inside, right?
by shnhpns1969 on December 12, 2005 01:36 AM
Thank you both so much for your help. Wnet and bought the mulch today and plan to work on getting the Mums "tucked in" for winter! Again, thank you for such a quick response and helpful info!
by Bestofour on December 12, 2005 02:19 AM
I live in Monroe, NC. I usually put my mums in the ground, then just cut them back after they've flowered. However, I do have a couple that stay in pots. I leave them where they are with a top covering of leaves. They always come back.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -

Active Garden Forum