The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help with my schefflera

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Tonya on May 03, 2006 01:49 AM
I am not sure how to make this poor plant bushy instead of lanky. I rescued it from a friend and it has come a long way, but has only 2 stems that made it and they are growing taller, but not bushing out....please help! It sits beside a window and gets watered about every week or week and a half, terra cotta pot and regular potting soil. It seems healthy and is growing, just looks puny. Can I root come cuttings? [dunno]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by RugbyHukr on May 03, 2006 03:25 AM
pruning will cause it to bush

cut the stems and 2 shoots will grow from the cut

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Budman on May 03, 2006 05:09 AM
I have a Schefflera that I have cut back at least seven times and it always comes back with more branches and a better shape. It still eventually gets a bit "leggy" and I just cut it back again....
by Tonya on May 04, 2006 02:25 AM
Thanks! Can I root the cuttings? I love the plant and would love to have more.

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by loz on May 04, 2006 02:35 AM
Last year when Jiffy came to visit me she had a huge Schefflera in her car that her MIL had given to her.

She cut me off some pieces and I stuck them in some water for a while...didn't do anything special to them. And actually they weren't in the water for that long...Maybe a week or a week and a half.

I planted all 3 cuttings in the same pot and kept it well watered for a while and they are now growing beautifully....I just repotted them all and gave one to my mom! [thumb]
by Tonya on May 05, 2006 01:46 AM
I pruned them back a little and stuck the cuttings in the pot and watered the whole thing well...we'll see what happens. Thanks! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by TomR on May 07, 2006 12:41 AM
You can root the cuttings. I use 3-4 inch sections and place in potting mix. Keep the soil moist.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Tonya on May 07, 2006 12:52 AM
So far, so good! None of the clippings have wilted and seem to be doing well. Thanks guys! [clappy]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: