The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rubber Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Rubber Plant| Next thread: rubber plant... help? »
Back to Thread index
by plantqueen on March 28, 2006 03:53 AM
Can anybody tell me how to start a new rubber plant off of one that I currently have?

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by Eagle on March 28, 2006 11:06 AM
Leaf Bud Cuttings - used with plants that are slow to generate a new growing point. Cutting includes a bud where the leaf and stem meet.(Rubber Plant and English Ivy)

- cut Rubber Plant off a few inches above soil level.
- cut the remove top into 1-2" sections; each section must include a bud and leaf.
- split the 1-2" section lengthwise keeping the half (mallet) which contains the bud and leaf.
- insert the mallet into the media with the bud about 1" below the surface.
- if not covering with plastic or using a very moist growing chamber, roll the leaf and tie with a rubber band.
- in 6-8 weeks the mallet will be rooted and the bud growing.
by plantqueen on March 28, 2006 10:57 PM
Thanks Eagle! I will try that. I think I understand now how to do it but I guess we will soon find out.

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by Will Creed on March 29, 2006 11:07 AM
Take a tip cutting that includes no more than 4 or 5 leaves. Place the cutting in a small pot filled with damp peat-based soilless potting mix. Put a loose plastic tent over it and place it in a bright, but indirect light location. You should have roots within 4 - 6 weeks and then you can remove the plastic.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rubber Plant| Next thread: rubber plant... help? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: