The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rubber Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: rubber plant| Next thread: rubber plant »
Back to Thread index
by noneofyourbusiness on February 26, 2005 05:28 AM
Hi all. As you know, I have an indoor garden. However I do have houseplants in it too! I have a rubber plant that has gotten WAY TOO BIG! It's about 5 1/2 feet tall, and taking up a whole corner in my room. With all the branches, it's almost 4 feet wide. The stalks on it are over 2-3 inches in diameter. My question is, how do I stop it from growing? Can I cut it back a bit? Also, is it possible to take cuttings from it? The stalks are just soo thick that I thought it might "bleed to death" if I cut it back.

Any suggestions?
by Jiffymouse on February 26, 2005 04:06 PM
rubber plants - ficus elastica - are one of the most resillient plants there are. if you cut the tips (top 3-5 leaves - or so) and plop them in the soil, they'll root rather well.

if you cut the plant back hard, it will be fine. won't bleed to death at all. in fact, i cut one back very hard yesterday.

and, if you want to retard the growth, don't pot it up every time it looks like it has outgrown it's pot. let it set for a while longer... all plants will continue to grow to meet their environment, until they reach their potential!
by noneofyourbusiness on February 26, 2005 07:11 PM
Perfect! Thank you soo much. The pot it's in is already way to small. I've been trying to slow it down for awhile. But I'm gonna cut it back today! Thanks for your help.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: rubber plant| Next thread: rubber plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: