The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Prayer Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: pray for my plants!!!!!!!| Next thread: Prayer Plant »
Back to Thread index
by mabo on December 06, 2006 06:23 AM
This is the first time using this site, so I may have posted a question in the wrong area---Anyway, I have a very old Prayer Plant that has roots hanging out from the bottom of it's pot. The pot seems large enough for the plant--and the pot sits inside another larger pot, so the roots do not get crushed. Do I need to repot? There is some slight browning on the tips of some of the leaves---
by hisgal2 on December 06, 2006 07:11 AM
Welcome to the forum!! [wavey] You posted in the right spot. [thumb]

I do not know too much about Prayer Plants as i just got my frist one a month or so ago. Is the room that the plant is it dry?? I know that they like some humidity. Mine started to get some browning on the leaves when we turned our heat on. It was drying out the air. I started to mist the plant once or twice a day and that fixed it right up. I'm not sure about needing to repot it tho....someone will come around who knows more than I do. [Smile]

-
 -

-
by joclyn on December 07, 2006 01:27 AM
welcome to the forum!!

if the roots are growing through the bottom of the pot, then it should be repotted into something larger.

jenn is correct - they DO like humidity.
by Star Dancer on December 07, 2006 09:00 PM
Mabo, If the pot looks large enough for the plant, and the plant can go more than a couple of days between waterings, it probably is large enough. Sometimes stray roots wander out of drainage holes even if the plant isn't rootbound. If you plant is otherwise happy and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tipping is sometimes caused by mineral build up. Tap water and some well waters frequently have high mineral concentrations. If this your situation, you might want to switch to bottled or filtered water, or rain water (unless acid rain is problematic in your area).

Star

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pray for my plants!!!!!!!| Next thread: Prayer Plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: