The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

rubber plant... help?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by kaidan on November 14, 2005 08:20 AM
Hello, I have a 10 year old rubber plant that is very healthy, but spindly. It's multiple stems are very spindly and tall and must be tied up to stakes. The plant is six feet tall and doesn't get much light. Is there a way to encourage the stems to grow thicker to support it better? The stems are about an inch and a half in diameter now.
Thanks for any suggestions!
by Jiffymouse on November 14, 2005 08:27 AM
the only way for stems to be thicker is for them to get lots of light when they are growing. that said, rubber plants don't usually get thicker than what you described. also, you can prune the top (any amount) off a rubber plant and stick in down in the pot with the mother plant and it will root. and the mother will send out babies. you may have to trim some of the older woody growth in the inbetween, but it works every time!
by angelblossom on November 15, 2005 10:12 AM
Kaidan And Jiffymouse Horray for the question and answer !! It's still warm 60-70 here in Dallas. This weekend I planned to bring IN my rubber tree and did it grow a LOT this past spring and summer! I will HAVE to cut the top off but to what point?? I'd really like to take off at least 1 to 1&1/2 ft. , and should I dip the cutting in root medium??, or is it too late in the year? It will be placed in a south lightly filterd window. [dunno] Entire stock is very healthy and woody. thanks [angel]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Jiffymouse on November 20, 2005 12:20 PM
cut it to where ever you feel like it, even down the to soil, it'll be fine!

Active Garden Forum