The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Help| Next thread: Help!!! »
Back to Thread index
by bulbwench on July 21, 2005 10:31 PM
I have been growing English Lavender since April in a large ceramic pot with adequate drainage. It has been doing fine until two days ago, when I noticed that most of the leaves on the bottom of the plants are dead. [tears] I have watered them religiously, as we have not had a decent amount of rain this summer, and they are in a place that gets sun in the morning & again in the late afternoon. We have just had a stretch of really humid weather. Is that what could have dome some damage to them?? I don't see any signs of fungus on the leaves that are still green. I moved the pot last night to a sunnier section of the yard, but I don't know if it's too late. Any ideas to rescue this plant would be great!
by jmacd on July 21, 2005 10:59 PM
Someone more expert should check me on this, but I believe I heard that English lavender prefers cool and less sunny conditions....hence, it thrives in England. The French lavender, on the other hand does well in sunnier and hotter conditioner, like the climate in France.

???? Is this true? Someone else please confirm [clappy] or bash [Razz] my theory.

jmacd [kitty]

-
by jmacd on July 21, 2005 11:00 PM
oops! that should be "sunnier and hotter conditions" [Embarrassed]

-
by RugbyHukr on July 21, 2005 11:48 PM
Don't let the pot get too hot.

If the direct sun heats the pot, it could begin to kill the plant. Also, if it is on a heat absorbing surface, heat radiation could damage lower leaves.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by bulbwench on July 22, 2005 03:48 AM
Actually, the pot was on a Patio that only gets sun from 8-12AM and then from 3-5PM, and it's never direct, baking sun. I did rome research & found that Lavender doesn't like wet feet. Maybe between the Thunderstorms & humidity we've had the past week, it just never got to dry out???
by bulbwench on July 26, 2005 03:59 AM
Well, I think I need new Lavender plants!

They all look pretty dead.

I amended they soil more, & moved them to more sun, but, I think they are dead (sigh). Crap!

Time for new plants I guess.....
by atreus on August 05, 2005 06:53 AM
Yeah, I am in UK and I love lavender.

It grows best around the base of small trees, or in beds that have partial shade. It like the cool. If your pot is getting hot during that baking US sun, English lavender won't like that at all.

The thing is that English lavender smells fantastic, whereas french lavender, although pretty, does not stink one little bit [Smile]

So get those plants in the cool!

[Smile]

http://www.atreusonline2.com/garden.php

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help| Next thread: Help!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: