The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: HELP!!!!!| Next thread: HELP »
Back to Thread index
by rucrazy on June 05, 2006 07:07 AM
[wavey] Been away a while -- getting the garden ready it's been really a chore but fun! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
OK, my question: Something is eating my geraniums! I can see little black droppings but can't find anything! What should I look for? How do I treat the plant without the use of pesticides? [dunno]

Thnx!! [flower] [flower] [flower]
by Jiffymouse on June 05, 2006 07:39 AM
ru, i'm moving this post down in the pests section! we are so glad to have you back, wondered where you have been, but i do want you to get an answer!!
by rucrazy on June 05, 2006 07:40 AM
JM - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!
by Longy on June 05, 2006 06:39 PM
Have a close look right down inside the plant, under any litter ot between branches etc. There's probably a fat caterpillar or something hiding in there thru the day. Or, go out atnight with a flashlight and catch the culprit.

-
The secret is the soil.
by rucrazy on June 05, 2006 06:59 PM
Thanks, Longy! I will give it a look in the morning. Any ideas how to keep them at bay?
by Longy on June 06, 2006 07:34 AM
Any ideas how to keep them at bay?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Depends what it is. If it is a caterpillar, just remove it/them. Look hard, they're good at hiding.

-
The secret is the soil.
by rucrazy on June 06, 2006 07:49 AM
Thanks, Longy!
by The Plant Doc on June 06, 2006 04:07 PM
RU, How little are the little black droppings?

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by rucrazy on June 06, 2006 04:26 PM
[wavey] Mike!
The droppings are about 1/16" or so. It seems to me that they are attacking the flowers - not the leaves. [dunno]
by The Plant Doc on June 07, 2006 11:01 AM
Yeah, that sounds like caterpillar fras. Unless you can catch the critters and pick them off pretty much your only other alternative would be some sort of pesticide. You can use Merit and water your plant with that. That way only insects eating the plant would be harmed. If they are in pots you could try putting some "Tanglefoot" around the base of the pot. This is a sticky substance which is normally used around the base of trees to keep tent and gypsy moth caterpillars from climbing up.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: HELP!!!!!| Next thread: HELP »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: