The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cyclamen questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Cyclamen persicum| Next thread: Cyclamens »
Back to Thread index
by magic612 on June 25, 2004 05:15 AM
I had a beautiful white cyclamen and loved it to death. I followed all of the directions on the tag and it seemed very healthy. I went away for 2 days and when I came home it was pretty well dead, the flowers were all limp and hanging over and the leaves were turning yellow. I have a pink one too, and it is still fine.

I heard from somewhere to cut all the leaves and flowers off, and new ones will soon replace the old. I also heard that it blooms from Dec-Apr so not to worry about it being all dead. I cut everything off right down to the root system but now I dont know what to do or to expect.

Do I have to do anything special to it now?
Will new flowers and leaves grow back anytime soon?

Any help would be great!!
by obywan59 on June 25, 2004 08:35 AM
Plants need a cool, dry rest period in the summer to rebloom. To provide this dormancy, put the plants outdoors in a shaded spot and turn the pots on their side, water occasionally to keep them barely moist until new leaves begin to appear.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by sachis2112 on June 27, 2004 01:44 AM
Evil plants! Evil I say! All the ladies in my office got cyclamen for Valentines day. There are now only two left alive. They don't like their crowns watered and, if they were forced to bloom, poof!

-
by mshpring on June 29, 2004 11:22 PM
I inherited a cyclamen whe I started my current job about two years ago. I knew nothing about them in the beginning, but I am starting to learn what to expect.

I always water my cyclamen from the bottom tray.
As I live in Central Texas, it doesn't bloom until about half way through the winter, but it blooms thoughout the spring.
In the summer (just a couple of weeks ago, actually) all of the leaves start to go limp and yellow. I pull them off when they give little resistance.
All summer, it looks like I have a pot of dirt on my desk. I water it only occasionally and only small amounts at a time.
In the fall, leaves will start to return. They need bright but indirect light. I had mine in a bay window with sheer curtains, and it was too much light, so I moved it to my desk (about 5 feet from the same window).

I'd never seen or heard of cyclamen until this job, but it has become one of my favorite flowering plants! [thumb]
by magic612 on June 30, 2004 05:21 AM
I know.. they are beautiful and they small incredible.

Thank you all for your help!!
by lilitu on July 14, 2004 06:15 AM
mshpring
when the cyclamen goes dormant do you still water from the bottom?

lilitu
by mshpring on July 14, 2004 04:34 PM
I do still water it from the bottom after it goes dormant, but not nearly as often or as much as when it is growing and flowering.

You know, I've asked for so much help from people on this message board, I am very happy to be able to help someone else! [flower]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cyclamen persicum| Next thread: Cyclamens »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: