The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

avacado questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Avacado Leaves browning| Next thread: Avacado Seed how do I? »
Back to Thread index
by SNOWWOLF on July 30, 2006 12:02 PM
HI!
I hope someone here can help me determine if my 2 year old avacado is doing what its supposed to be doing.
It was started in water and when it reached 16 inches or so i planted it in a pot and put it outside in a spot that got dappled sunlight to let it adjust to the new conditions(i live in central florida and my yard is nearly all bright sunlight).

It did very well and is now over 6 feet tall not including its 14 inch tall pot. It has however begun doing something Im not sure is normal, at all the points where its first leaves were(all down the trunk to just above where the seed used to be) before it began branching out) has started putting out new branches. Is this normal? I didnt pinch it back as it was growing because I wanted to see what nature would do without my interference. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
by Longy on July 30, 2006 08:54 PM
They will do that. You can remove any you don't want or prune the main growth tip to get it to remain smaller and more manageable. In your climate, it will grow well in the ground. Excellent drainage and humus rich soil are a must.

-
The secret is the soil.
by SNOWWOLF on July 31, 2006 01:22 PM
So it is a normal thing. Thats reasuring thanks for the input.

I have since found another issue, while the trunk is more than 3 inchs around (at about the mid point,thicker below and thinner above obviously [Razz] ) its begun to tip to the side inspite of the supporting stake.any ideas for what else I might do(aside from planting in the ground my land lady would try to keep it or cut it down) to help it remain upright.
by SNOWWOLF on August 02, 2006 07:50 AM
Hi again.

Got a second stake and pounded it into the ground a foot or so away from the pot and gently tied the trunk with a piece of flannel fabric to the support with a bit of give so it can move in the wind and rain. Its potted in a good deep pot with enriched potting soil(miraclegrow like for all my plants) and it drains well.
by SNOWWOLF on August 12, 2006 08:01 AM
Ok I have a new issue with this plant. I recently noticed black spots on some of the leaves, as it progresses the black spots spread then dry out as if the plant is being sucked dry of moisture. Is this an insect issue or something worse that I should be concerned about?
by Longy on August 13, 2006 10:48 PM
The plant having no strength could be from too much nitrogen based fertilizer. Making for lots of lush green growth at the expense of a robust plant. A higher potash ratio in the fert may help. That's the K in the NPK ratio on the fert container.
I'm not a fan of staking trees as it can make them reliant on the stakes but if you do so, ensure they have plenty of room to move about, as you have done, as this strengthens the trunk.
Re the blackspots, this may be a fungal disease. Not sure. When you water, try not to wet the leaves and preferably water in the mornings. A spray of bordeaux may help with the fungus. Also, additional potash as suggested above may strengthen the tree against these types of attacks.

-
The secret is the soil.
by SNOWWOLF on August 14, 2006 08:20 AM
Thanks,
the plant in question has plenty of room to move in the breeze, to, as you said strengthen the trunk and eliminate the risk of scarring or damaging the trunk. As for the black spots, they dont rub off like one would expect a fungus to do but Im willing to give your suggestion a go.
by Longy on August 15, 2006 12:02 AM
the black spots, they dont rub off like one would expect a fungus to do
+++++++++++++++++++++
No they will actually 'eat' thru the leaf and won't rub off.
If you find the plant gets too top heavy, it's fine to take the top of it off and make it bushier too.

-
The secret is the soil.
by SNOWWOLF on August 15, 2006 06:42 AM
I see
Thanks for the info, as I have said in other posts this is the first one I have gotten to survive this long and really dont want to lose it due to something fixable. I will give the potash a try and try watering from below more so than above.
by SNOWWOLF on August 15, 2006 04:25 PM
What is your opinion about using a plant food stake designed for fruit and nut trees on the avacado?
by Longy on August 15, 2006 11:29 PM
using a plant food stake designed for fruit and nut trees
+++++++++++
That'd probably be fine. I'm more of an organics grower myself but check the NPK ratio of the plant food doesn't lean too heavily toward the N. (Nitrogen). Chances are it'll be OK as fruits and nuts require a little more P and K to flower and fruit.

-
The secret is the soil.
by SNOWWOLF on August 16, 2006 06:33 AM
The N is the lower level in the listing on the plant spikes so I assume it should do the trick. While i myself prefer to grow as organically as possible under normal conditions I have little opportunity to provide extensive periods of time checking soil samples and the like to find out whats needed so I try to keep Miracle grow plant food around and give in dilute form once or twice a season to give an added boost and let nature do the rest. So far its been a good system.

Thank you for the info and if I ever get a big enough place where I can devote a shed or planting caddy to the needed soil additives I will certainly do so.
by art on August 19, 2006 01:35 PM
snowwolf
if your tree is 6 ft tall, you need a larger pot.
also on the npk avocados need more nitrogen than other fruit trees.

art
by SNOWWOLF on August 19, 2006 04:08 PM
LOL Someone make up my mind, Does it need high N or low?

As for the pot thing it probly does need a new home inspite of not being in the big ones its in for more than 3-4 months now. It went from a 5 gallon to the current pot(a 14") and started shooting up within a few weeks of being transplanted. When I can I will try to get a larger pot,on wheels or something so it can be moved more easily if we should get a hurricane or other nasty weather or if I should move anytime soon. That one will have to wait till I can get my hands on some money either to make a planter or buy one.
by Longy on August 19, 2006 09:45 PM
I think it has been getting ample nitrogen. Possibly too much. More may make it get weaker in the stem and more susceptible to pest and disease attack. They do like nitrogen but not excessive.
A half wine barrel would be a good size pot.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Longy on August 19, 2006 10:07 PM
I think it has been getting ample nitrogen. Possibly too much. More may make it get weaker in the stem and more susceptible to pest and disease attack. They do like nitrogen but not excessive.
A half wine barrel would be a good size pot.

-
The secret is the soil.
by art on August 20, 2006 12:32 PM
snowwolf
i don't know what variety your tree is.i have 3 gwen avocado trees.these are kmown as semi dwarf.they are about 5 to 9 years old and they are all under 7 feet tall.last year the oldest tree had over 400 avocados on it. this tree can be grown in a large pot. your tree may be a larger variety,but they can be controlled to a certain extent.i feed my trees Greenall citrus and avocado fertilizer about every 3 months. the npk is N14% P4% K8%.you should check this out at your nursery.

art
by SNOWWOLF on August 23, 2006 11:20 AM
Well the seed was from a Florida avocado but as I know many are cross pollinated I am unsure of what it will turn out to be. Not really concerned at this stage what sort of fruit it produces, or even when it produces, just that it remain strong and healthy.

The plant food spikes I recently put in with my young tree lists the following ratio (10-15-15 plus minor elements: MicroMax® Nutrients (iron & maganese). Having read the packaging and speaking to a fellow gardener who is also raising Avocados(his are a few years older than mine and have flowered once without producing fruit) this seemed like the best option for my situation.
by Deborah L. on August 23, 2006 12:44 PM
Art, 400 avocados from one tree????
Do you sell your fruit?
I think that's incredible-wow ! [thumb]

-
 -
by art on August 23, 2006 02:23 PM
Deborah
the incredible thing is that the avocado tree is less than 7 feet tall.i've been trying to send a photo,but i don't know the procedure.by the way according to the info on this tree,it is normal.the tree is a semi dwarf gwen.

art
by art on September 01, 2006 11:15 AM
by PAR_Gardener on September 02, 2006 02:47 AM
Art,

I clicked on the link, but it was asking for your passwd.

I started a few avocado trees this year, and I'd love to see pictures of your 5-9 yr old trees, especially the one that produced 400 avocados.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by SNOWWOLF on September 03, 2006 11:49 AM
Hi again, Any suggestions for an organic way to deal with a black mold on my avocado? I dont want to use pesticides/fungicides on it if I can avoid them as I have other plants in the same place that wouldnt do well with those things nor the small pools I raise daphnia in for my fish.
by art on September 03, 2006 01:42 PM
PAR Gardener,
i have tried to post my photos from photobucket,
but so far i have failed. maybe someone can lead me through the process,cause i'm having a hard time with it.

art
by art on September 03, 2006 02:08 PM
snowwolf,
try this site for info on avocado.
http://ucavo.ucr.edu/AvocadoWebSite%20folder/AvocadoWebSite/General/Answers.html

i believe your problem is Persea Mites.
good luck

art
by SNOWWOLF on September 03, 2006 08:57 PM
Thanks for the site art but this isnt on the underside of the leaves,it startes on the top sides with no signs of black on the backs then the black spots dry out turn brown and the leaf curls and dies. I recently tried just ordinary soap and water while I havent seen any more of the black spots I do have some leaves that appeared to have been scorched by the procedure. Is that a normal reaction? I used perhaps half a teaspoon of soap in half a gallon of water.
by art on September 05, 2006 03:24 AM
SNOWWOLF,
there are so many diseases on avocados thar it;s hard to tell,here are a few sites that might help.

Basic Entomology
Problem Diagnosis for Avocados
Western Plant Diagnostics
also you might try Florida Agriculture Commissioner
take a few of the leaves to them and they will diagnose them. the service is free. i hope you can save your tree.

art
by SNOWWOLF on September 05, 2006 04:08 AM
Thanks art. Will keep you posted on how its doing.
by art on September 05, 2006 08:05 AM
PAR,
i'm trying to send you a photo.

-

art
by PAR_Gardener on September 05, 2006 12:06 PM
Art,

Now that picture I can see. Thanks for making the effort to post the picture. That's a nice tree. I see you've got it planted in the ground. Is that the 7' tree that produced 400 avocados, and how old was that tree? What's the white coating on the trunk?

I have to keep mine in a pot because I live in zone 5. My tallest tree is over 15" tall, and it's under a year old. I'll try to post some picture later.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by Deborah L. on September 05, 2006 12:40 PM
Art, that's a beautiful tree !
I'm thinking of getting that Googly-something, a dwarf, from Park's soon.
They say its parent is a Hass. Hass is my favorite.

-
 -
by SNOWWOLF on September 05, 2006 01:59 PM
Beautiful tree art, are those clusters the flowers?
by art on September 06, 2006 06:59 AM
SNOWWOLF.
yes those are the flowers. ths first fruit from this tree was when i had the tree in a 30 gal. trash can,
last year.the avocados in this picture are still on the tree. the tree today is less than 5 ft tall. the fruit from this year is still small and there are only about 30 avocados.the tree is only 4 yrs old and its a gwen.

-
 -
here is a better picture of the tree

art
by art on September 06, 2006 07:13 AM
Deborah.
if i was buying an avocado tree,i would go to the following site.more variety and more information,
the "sir prize" sounds very interesting.study them all closely before you decide.
Good Luck
GrowQuest
see my photos on SNOWWOLF

art
by SNOWWOLF on September 06, 2006 07:24 AM
Beautiful, had never seen the flowers on one before, and it looks like some half way decent fruit [Smile]
by art on September 29, 2006 07:25 AM
PAR Gardener,
sorry i'm so late to respond.the tree that had the
400 avocados is the father to the one in the photo
and is about 1foot taller.the one in the photo gave
me about 39 avocados.but it's about 4 yrs old.it was in a tub until feb of this year.i just picked the last 2 avocados last week.the trunk has been painted white with latex paint to prevent sun burn.i will send a photo of the tree that had the 400 avocados as soon as i develop them.send me a photo of yours.

art
by Coriander321 on December 03, 2006 07:56 PM
I am not able to see the video on the link above, and want to prune my trees.

I grew them from seed last year.

The one is from a large avocado and it's over 12 foot in a pot! Do I prune off the TOP of the tree?

Coriander123
by art on December 09, 2006 08:59 AM
coriander,
a 12 foot tree in a pot? WOW!!
and only 1 year old? unbelievable.
what are you feeding this tree?
i would most certainly cut the top off.

art

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Avacado Leaves browning| Next thread: Avacado Seed how do I? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: