The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Newbie questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Mandi on July 19, 2006 07:11 PM
Okay.. wondering a couple of things with my veggie garden:
1. With corn, do you have to detassel it like we used to do to field corn in high school for a summer time job?
2. Should I be doing something unique with my cantelope and squash or just letting them "do their thing"?
Thanks for the help!! [flower]

Mandi [Smile] "...No great thing is created suddenly.."
by Shawn M on July 19, 2006 10:41 PM
Hi Mandi,

I don't see any reason you would have to detassel corn in your garden, just pick the ears when they are ready and let the stalks die off at the end of the year. The only reason I know of to detassel corn is to prevent cross polination with different types of corn (field and sweet for example). Others on this great forum may have more insight.

With my squash and pumpkins I have, I let them do their thing (no melons so I can't say). They take up a huge area, but I have had some tremendous squash. I try my best to keep the weeds down, but mine are so spread out and the leaves so huge they block most of the sun for the weeds. They have spread out more than my garden are into the surrounding weeds. Beautiful plants!

I spent a few summers working corn and beans in Iowa back in HS (many years ago now) so just wondering where you are from in Iowa.

Good luck!!

Shawn
by Mandi on July 20, 2006 05:37 AM
My hubbie and I just moved to Iowa...Glenwood area.. but I grew up in Nebraska where detasseling corn was THE job to have..I HATED IT!! so Im glad to hear that I dont have to do it in my garden!! [flower]

Mandi [Smile] "...No great thing is created suddenly.."
by Triss on July 20, 2006 05:50 AM
Yes detasseling is to prevent cross pollination and is done all over in the large fields of Nebraska. My son worked in the fields last summer when we were living there and he hated it as well. Good money though for young kids.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Danno on July 20, 2006 02:16 PM
lol detassling is how i baught my first car. . . a 79 camaro WOOT WOOT!!!!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: