The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

avocado tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Avocado seeds| Next thread: Avocado tree »
Back to Thread index
by jgstrout on February 28, 2006 12:47 AM
my leaves on my newly started tree are getting dark around the edges. Does anyone know what might be wrong with my care of this tree. thanks joy
by Longy on February 28, 2006 07:03 PM
Hey Joy. Avo's are amongst the pickiest fruit trees you'll ever see. I had 2 which did what yours is doing, i planted the third one in an ex vegie bed and it is thriving. They require excellent drainage but don't like wet feet. They also like a cool soil, so heavy mulch is a good idea. High levels of humus is another preference, so plenty of organic matter in the soil is also necessary. If you want an avo to do well, spend time on the soil. Compost galore, manures, blood and bone meal and heavy mulch. Good drainage and a regular water supply. Try and plant out of the cold wind in a protected spot and keep the soil on the dry side of moist. One thing is for sure, they are worth it. The one thing i'm sure about is that your tree is not happy, probably for one of the above reasons and most likely a soil preparation thing.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Buglady on March 01, 2006 07:06 AM
Is this from seed or did you get a grafted tree?

Marginal browning is often a symptom of root issues. Can happen from fluoride toxicity if watering plant with tap water.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Avocado seeds| Next thread: Avocado tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: