The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Avocado tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: avocado tree| Next thread: avocado tree »
Back to Thread index
by fairy4nc on December 04, 2004 06:41 AM
Hello I am excited i managed to grow an avocado from a seed and I need to know if it is poisonous to smal children and animal it is ready to pot and I need to place it in a suitiable spot.
Thank you for any advice [wayey]

by Longy on December 11, 2004 05:36 AM
G'day fairy, avocados are not poisonous as far as i know. They do OK in pots, require excellent drainage and protection from the cold. Esp frosts.
Being a seed grown plant it may never give fruit or at best may take 7-11 years.
Nice trees though.
by ivona on December 14, 2004 05:15 PM
A number of weeks I planted four avocado seens in water by the toothpick method and so far nothing. Shortly before that I planted one in soil and today something is growing out of the seed, finally. But I have a question, what do you mean grown from the seed will not grow fruits? As opposed to what? And if I live in Taiwan, tropical climate, it receices much sun, and warm temp. will that help?
Thank you from the top for any advice!
Ivona
by ServantsHeart2003 on December 14, 2004 08:33 PM
All plants are grown from seed!!! A tree however takes a LONG time before it will fruit many times and sometimes it will not fruit unless there are more than one. Don't let the possiblities we are not aware of keep you from enjoying you tree! I have one I also started from seed!! It is doing well--it is planted outside in the ground now and over 1 yr old. No fruit but it is still just a thin trunk (the leaves fell off in Fall)!! I also have Dwarf Cherry Trees I bought last year that are now over 1 yr old and are thin trunks also. Avocado is DEFINITELY NOT poisonous. My husband eats them like crazy. Apparently they are a fruit--I don't like them so I don't know much about them. The only fruit tree I know of personally that will sometimes fruit the first year is Papaya. My husband's Mother in Mexico grows one or two in her back yard. These trees however are short lived so you won't have a 10 yr old Papaya tree!! hehehe I have grown these myself from seed as well--but started to late in the season and the frost killed the new treelings!! Start them early in the Spring and by Summer apparently you might have fruit--definitely by the second year. [thumb]

-

My Site
http://www.freewebs.com/froglver/
by Longy on December 15, 2004 12:49 AM
Avocado fruits are not poisonous. They're yummy. I thought you were asking about the leaves and other parts of the plant. Again, i'm not sure about that.
Grafted plants will produce fruit in 2-3 years.
Seed raised ones take longer.
Being in a tropical climate you may get fruit from a grafted variety in the first year but only a few.
by catlover on December 15, 2004 06:02 AM
YES, AVOCADO LEAVES ARE POISONOUS!!!!!

-
 -
 -
by Carly on January 03, 2005 01:21 PM
I have four seeds going - the toothpick method. They're supposed to 'take' in about 2 weeks.

I certainly hope they don't get big all that fast. I'm figuring on having them as potted plants for the garden this spring and raising them in the house one after another.

I don't want them to become big trees. The fruit itself I can buy from the fruit store for a buck apiece (I like 'em too).

I'm looking forward to seeing what is going to become of those seeds.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Cedar on January 03, 2005 07:28 PM
Avocados are like apple trees. They don't come true from seed, so you can get some wierd genetic variant that doesn't produce any fruit. Also, if your winter gets any colder than about 40 degrees you may never see fruit even if you have a tree from a cutting. I did hear about some guy in orange county who started a bunch of seeds to plant a big windbreak,not for the fruit,and he struck it rich when one of them grew into a really great dwarf tree that produces heavily. He patented it and is selling them.
by Jiffymouse on January 04, 2005 04:07 AM
well, my experience with avocados is with the "wild" variety when i lived overseas.

no, you won't get one true to a "patented" one, but they all have their own benefits.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: avocado tree| Next thread: avocado tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: