The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

SQUIRRELS!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: squirrel nest| Next thread: squirrels »
Back to Thread index
by TANTEMICKEY on April 09, 2005 05:14 PM
PLEASE-SQUIRRELS ARE PULLING OUT ALL MY NEW
PLANTINGS-HOW CAN I STOP THIS?
by catlover on April 09, 2005 05:22 PM
Moving your post to Plant Pests and Problems where more people may be able to help you.
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on April 09, 2005 05:30 PM
I'm sure this isn't an answer.

I only have one city bred squirrel and when he dug up my seeds I started feeding him down at the other end of the lawn/weed patch. I'm sure there is a different reason why he is leaving the plants alone I just don't know what it is.

Welcome to the forum.

-
 -
by Tomatoe on April 10, 2005 06:06 AM
Some may not like it, but I used a fido shock ran about 4" off the ground. Added one at three and five foot for the deer. Worked very well. Keeps rabits at bay to. I've had squirrel and rabbit keep the sprouts nibbled back so thy could form leaves. Never realized deer wouldeat okra and tomotos.
by Jiffymouse on April 10, 2005 05:42 PM
i've hear that works. i have also heard that if you gather dog hair clippings and put them around the edge of your garden, it'll stop the critters too.
by mike57 on April 10, 2005 08:17 PM
HI [wayey] used kitty litter sprinkeled around you flower beds might also work ive used it around mine it works for me.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Jiffymouse on April 11, 2005 01:45 AM
mike, fresh kitty litter, not used?
by The Plant Doc on April 11, 2005 02:07 AM
12 gauge lead poisoning used to take care of the bushy tailed tree rat problem for me, but since moving to town and the fact that the local police really frown upon discharging a scatter gun in city limits, I have to find other ways myself. When no one is looking I still use a BB gun [devil]
But a better way of dealing with the problem is going to your local Sams club or any other place where you can buy spices in BULK and shake a good amount of cyanne (sp?) pepperon the ground around the plants. This will only work for a couple of days if you are watering regularly so be ready to re-apply.

If you want a good recipie for squirrel stew ask away [Smile]

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by mike57 on April 11, 2005 09:47 AM
[Big Grin] sorry jiffymouse i forgot to type in. I,VE [Big Grin] thanks for pointing out my over site for me my mind aint what it use to be i type quicker than i think sometimes.atta girl.your friend in gardeing.mike57 [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [wayey]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by obywan59 on April 12, 2005 09:54 PM
I've heard that hot pepper works also. As well as sprinkling it around the plants you could make a spray to coat the foliage with it. I use hot pepper spray on my rhododendrons and azaleas to keep the deer off. It seems to help a lot.

My mom sprinkles hot pepper in with her bird seed to keep the squirrels out. The birds don't mind it.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by auntnene on April 16, 2005 03:09 PM
I have four pecan trees in my yard so the critters are fat and sassy here [Wink] Everytime I brush my kitties and my (inherited) granddog, I toss the hair in my beds. I seldom have a problem with anything being dug up. When I first moved here, I planted a bulb garden and come Spring, nothing came up so I dug down to take a peek. All I came up with were pecans where my bulbs use to be [tears] The animal hair seems to have helped me. Now, if I can just get them to save me some pecans in the fall, I'll be happy.

[Smile]

Please God, make me as good as my cat thinks I am!
by BigDaddy on April 24, 2005 06:07 PM
Howdy. I was curious would the pepper solution work around my corn and if so how do I make it.Like the plant doc I cant go ww2 on the them.
Please help I lost 20 plants to those critters last year and I dont want to let it happen again!!
Thanks alot BigD
by Jiffymouse on April 25, 2005 01:47 AM
do a google search on the site, the recipe should come up. but, the thing about that is that you have to keep reapplying it. i am going to use dog hair this year.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: squirrel nest| Next thread: squirrels »
Back to Thread index