The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

squirrel nest

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: squirrel abatement?| Next thread: SQUIRRELS! »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on May 26, 2006 08:57 AM
we have a huge pine in our front yard with some wires running out the front of the yard that go past it. we usually have seen squirrels run by with a green pinecone in their mouth. lately we've been seeing them run towards the tree with leaves from the other tree. we looked around up in the pine tree and found a big nest almost to the top! we've been watching them for a while go back and forth bringing new leaves! cool! but i have a couple of questions--- do they build nests to have babies only or do they build nests to actually live in for good? will they disappear after the babies are old enough or are they our new neighbors?
by Squirrel on May 26, 2006 09:52 AM
I`m no expert, but I`ve watched them go back to the same nest time after time. I think that were the go at night. Babies or no babies. I think you have some new neighbors. Good for you. They are fun to watch! Enjoy. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by Thornius on May 26, 2006 09:56 AM
Back when I was a squirrel hunter I often watched squirrels run into or come out of nests in the Winter, so I assume that they use them year round. You might check around the base of the tree for fragments of squirrel eggshells [Big Grin]

IN THE SPOTLIGHT
 -

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Wrennie on May 26, 2006 11:11 AM
The eastern gray squirrel dens year round. Welcome new neighbor!
heres more info
http://www.enature.com/flashcard/show_flash_card.asp?recordNumber=MA0118

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by pagarden on May 26, 2006 03:46 PM
hey cool! i guess now i have a reason to get a squirrel feeder huh? oh i'm sure my husband will be thrilled as he already teases me about spending money on ther birds!

and thornius you confused me a bit. it's probably meant as a joke but what are squirrel eggshells???
by Mrs.Spud on May 27, 2006 09:00 AM
squirrel eggshells are a sure sign that a baby squirrel has just hatched.

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by Squirrel on May 27, 2006 11:08 AM
Thanks for the web site on the eastern gray squirrel, Wrennie. Gives a lot of ingo! I just love watching the little guys. Now I know more about them. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by pagarden on May 27, 2006 01:54 PM
umm..... i thought all mammals were born alive.
by Thornius on May 27, 2006 03:32 PM
Not squirrels. They are not true mammals but come from Eurypides, one of the small moons of Jupiter that is shaped like an acorn. The squirrels of Eurypides are hatched from eggs and have a technological civilization that is tens of thousands of years ahead of our own.

-
 -
by Wrennie on May 28, 2006 01:16 AM
[nutz] psssst pagarden, they're teasing you [perplexed]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by porter57 on May 28, 2006 02:48 AM
and they taste like chicken!!
by Jiffymouse on May 28, 2006 05:15 AM
[Frown] [Frown] not nice porter... this is for enjoying live squirrels... go to the recipe section if you want to talk about eating them...
by pagarden on May 28, 2006 10:40 AM
haha! have you all had 1 too many today or what???
by Thornius on May 28, 2006 10:44 AM
One too many, What? [scaredy] (Thorn quickly wipes the squirrel hairs and grease from his mouth.)

-
 -
by porter57 on May 28, 2006 05:54 PM
i thought this was for enjoying birds?
fricassee of young squirrel with vidalia onions
hmmm thats a treat. enjoying the very thought of it!
by ChillnPepper on May 29, 2006 04:26 AM
Here's what I can't figure...how do they swallow & eat soooo much UPSIDE DOWN?!?! I live in an older house (the screens are wooden framed with that 1 lil strip of wood across the center) and my squirrel (I now refer to her as MY squirrel! [perplexed] ), Silly Squirrel, hangs upside down and eats....DAILY! Amazing. Like the Discovery Channel-Unplugged. Good newz! She hasn't destroyed the bird feeder as yet tho and it appears that she may have a few babes nursing. How many offspring do they have at a time n how often I wonder?

Thank goodness there are still things that make us go "Hmmmmmm...?...!" [clappy]

-
"Live simply; expect little, give much...scatter sunshine."
M. J. McLeod
~Zone 8a~
by Thornius on May 29, 2006 10:55 AM
They probably have around 3-5 young at one time. I am not certain about that.

-
 -
by ChillnPepper on June 04, 2006 10:34 AM
She had 2! She brought them over to play today! [flower] One is a lil' boy...they sure are cute rascals [Cool]

-
"Live simply; expect little, give much...scatter sunshine."
M. J. McLeod
~Zone 8a~

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: squirrel abatement?| Next thread: SQUIRRELS! »
Back to Thread index