The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

SQUIRREL!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: squash suggestions/help| Next thread: squirrel abatement? »
Back to Thread index
by Thornius on January 17, 2006 02:35 AM
Caught this li'l fella having breakfast this morning.

Eastern Gray Squirrel
 -

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by afgreyparrot on January 17, 2006 07:09 AM
Oh, that's such a good picture!
I wish I had a squirrel...or a rabbit...or something.
I miss my skunks so bad.
I had a rat eating some seeds this past summer from under the bird feeders...guess that's about as close to wildlife as I'm gonna get with that Cocker Spaniel here. [Roll Eyes]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Thornius on January 17, 2006 08:52 AM
I had a pet skunk as a boy, and two raccoons, two foxes, a bobcat, two flying squirrels, and two fox squirrels. The only pets I would not have again are the bobcat (it bit me and was surly ALL the time) and MAYBE the foxes. They were pretty friendly but nervous and skittish. The Raccoons and the squirrels were about the BEST wild animal pets I have had. All I have now is a bunny.

-
 -
by Oui on January 17, 2006 09:49 PM
I never get squirrels unless they are on the far back of my property. Where my cats don't go. My cats will not bother the birds but squirrels, rats, mice, snakes & moles usually stay away from my yard...It is "THE YARD OF DOOM" for them if they enter. We have a lot of field rats...That I DO NOT WANT in or under my house..

afgreyparrot...I wouldn't be happy about seeing a rat feeding in my yard..That rat is probably nesting under or near your house right now..EEK!!!!
by Thornius on January 18, 2006 01:08 AM
My skunk, "Flower", was de-scented and had regular Vet visits AND had her rabies shot, too.

-
 -
by Oui on January 29, 2006 09:46 PM
I had the chance to hold a baby raccoon once...I remember it was so sweet and wittle..And not afraid at all almost like a pet kitten.
by Thornius on January 30, 2006 01:44 AM
I have had 3 or 4 pet raccoons in my life and they were literally the BEST poets I have ever had.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on March 02, 2006 01:22 AM
Hi all,
I enjoyed your postings about your backyard wildlife.
I hope I won't get anyone upset about my feeding wildlife, but I have several rabbits, squirrels, opossums, and birds in my backyard.
I feed them all every morning and evening. My favorites are the gentle rabbits, all of whom are named, easily distinguisable from each other (to me) and they LOVE apples. I toss out several washed and quartered apples every evening at dusk.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on March 02, 2006 01:26 AM
I ran out of room and also spotted my typo for "indistinguishable". Oops.
I wanted to add that my rabbits are Western Desert cottontails, as I live in southern California. They eat grass, apples and are "wild" about birdseed.
I shoo the hawks away - the rabs are my good friends and I really do love them. The foods are placed under my patio roof, safe, hopefully, from the hawks.

-
 -
by Thornius on March 02, 2006 10:29 AM
I feed birds and wildlife constantly as do all birders. This is Very important to help some species to thrive. I have several favorites that have been with me for years.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on March 02, 2006 10:51 AM
Thanks for the support, Thornius ! Out here all I ever hear is that people should not ever feed wildlife. To this I say: Thanks to human encroachment the animals are running out of food sources. And space.
And then they are "punished" for ransacking the trash !! Unacceptable !

-
 -
by Thornius on March 02, 2006 12:30 PM
And remember although I am no longer a hunter, hunters play a VALUABLE roll in the health and vitality of wildlife populations. Man through his encroachment has eliminated MANY of the larger predators and hunters have taken the place of these missing predators IF they obey ALL the laws and do not abuse their hunting priviledges.

-
 -
by Thornius on March 02, 2006 12:46 PM
Deborah, if you'll look at my post on BIRD FRIENDLY YARDS in this section you will see photographs of my front AND back yard bird setups. This is where I provide food, water, and shelter for as many species of birds as my space will allow and where I do MUCH of my bird photography. I bought this house almost 4 years ago and so far have had close to 60 species of birds in my yard. When birders say yards, they mean any bird they can hear AND/OR see while standing in their yard. That can be within 1/8 to 1/4 mile of your actual house or yard. Even though I am several miles from significant water, I have had Great Blue Herons and Canada Geese fly over my house, so by birders' definition, I've had Great Blue Herons and Canada Geese in my yard. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by ChristinaC on March 02, 2006 01:00 PM
I've had Canadian Geese in my yard too. [thumb]

-
 -
by patches1414 on March 12, 2006 01:00 PM
I live in the middle of a city (about 40,000) and still have plenty of wildlife in my yard. I have plenty of rabbits and they managed to wipe out a new vegetable garden I planted a few years, but that's okay, [thumb] I gave up on vegetables (except for tomatoes) and planted flowers. [flower] I have lots of squirrel who raid my bird feeders and destroy some of them, but you can't not love them, so I buy peanuts for them. [Wink] We have a few ducks that come around and there isn't really any water that close, chipmunks who have also managed to do their fair share of damage, BUT they are SO cute! [Love] The most exciting thing was this past fall when I went to get something out of car late at night and there was a doe and her fawn in my front yard, it was so exciting; but it also made me a little sad to think of her trying to survive in the middle of a city. [tears] I have lots of birds too! My life wouldn't be complete without all God's little critters! [Love]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by slredmond on March 12, 2006 08:59 PM
Loved the squirrel pic! We have a yard FULL of walnuts, so therefore, a yard full of squirrels. In fact, the neighborhood we live in is appropriately named Walnut Point. Some appear intentionally planted (160 years ago) and some must have already been in place, because they're giants. It's a critter paradise - with lowlands for water just down the street, and tons of shrubby undergrowth for birds, woodchucks and deer to hang out.

Sandy R.
by Deborah L. on March 16, 2006 01:19 PM
Sandy, I'm drooling with envy ! I haven't seen a walnut tree since I was a kid in the 60's. Do your walnuts have skins on them? I think I remember having to peel the skins off.
I'm glad your critters have a wonderful habitat !

-
 -
by slredmond on March 16, 2006 10:31 PM
Well, all the walnuts that have fallen on the driveway have their skins peeled of by cars driving over them. I haven't really paid attention to the ones in the yard. The yard is full of ancient spirea and forsythia bushes that the birds have claimed as their own, and some heirloom lilac trees. The house was built in 1841, so I'd say it's a well-established yard!! We just bought the place, so it's a blast to see the plants popping up.

Sandy R.
by Deborah L. on March 17, 2006 03:52 AM
Lilacs !!! I'm REALLY envious now ! I have never
smelled a lilac in my life ! They don't do well here in southern California. Our nurseries offer low-chill lilacs, but even they don't have a reputation of doing well out here.
I love my state and am a proud third generation native, but sheesh, there are so many classic plants we can't have here.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on March 17, 2006 03:54 AM
1841??? Wow ! Bet you find some old treasures !
Please share the news if you do ! Don't you wish the walls could talk?

-
 -
by Thornius on March 17, 2006 04:04 AM
Sandy, get a metal detector and search your property inch by inch. You will be amazed by what you find!

-
 -
by slredmond on March 18, 2006 01:43 AM
We're so excited about all the well established trees and bushes. Here's a link to my Webshots pictures of the house. We're in the middle of gutting the interior, because it's had some "remuddling" over the years, and we want to restore it to a more original state. So far a 1862 Godey's Ladies Magazine, part of an old shoe and an old glove have fallen out of the attic! Next step is to get up there and dig under the insulation to see what else we find.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=548589798&security=MGvJfI

I'll post pictures of the yard once I find them on my computer!

Also see: http://www.lasalpacas.com/Hasbrouck.htm

Great suggestion about the metal detector - my brother-in-law has one we can probably use.

Sandy R.
by Thornius on March 18, 2006 05:13 AM
What a MAGNIFICENT HOUSE!! I love stone/brick colonial types. That will be spectacular when you finish it!

-
 -
by slredmond on March 19, 2006 08:25 PM
Thanks, Thorny. Every muscle in my poor old body is screaming at me right now from all the manual labor! Besides - it's taking me away from gardening time!! I did sneak out yesterday to clear out some dried, dead stuff from last year, and sure enough there are a bunches of some type of lily popping up. It's great fun to see the mystery unfold of what the previous owners had planted.

Sandy R.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: squash suggestions/help| Next thread: squirrel abatement? »
Back to Thread index