The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help with castor bean plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: help with cantelopes| Next thread: Help with Container sizes... »
Back to Thread index
by linda12159 on October 01, 2005 08:06 AM
my castor bean plants are just beautiful, standing about 6' plus tall, this is my first year with them and was wondering what to do for them as winter approaches? any ideas would be greatly appreciated......one more question....same question applies to my datura's, do i cut them back? let the seeds fall first??
Thank You, Linda

-
learn from others mistakes....you can't live long enough to make them all yourself
by duckie on October 01, 2005 08:28 AM
[wayey] Hi Linda,

my castor beans are looking great too.They won't make it through the winter though,sorry.

I usually start digging mine up in late October.
The stalks are hollow,kinda like bamboo.You can save them for stakes.

Save your seeds for next year.btw ,if you don't know.the seeds are toxic.

-
 -
by linda12159 on October 01, 2005 10:59 AM
hi duckie.....oh dear!! i'm so disappointed. for some reason i thought they would atleast self sow. do the seeds have to be take out of those prickly pods? or will they break open on their own? hmmmmmmm.... plant stakes, thats a great idea duckie! thanks for your help!
Linda

-
learn from others mistakes....you can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: help with cantelopes| Next thread: Help with Container sizes... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: