The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Christmas Cactus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Garden Lady In Maine on April 01, 2006 08:36 PM
My Christmas Cactus is budding and some blooms. This is good news. My question is. I have noticed many branches that have wilted and died. The problem seems to be at the root, This is a fairly large plant and very old, it was my grandmother's who has been with the Lord now for many years. I don't know if I should replant it or what I should do any help would be appreciated. If I should replant...how?

Thanks [dunno]
by margaret e. pell on April 02, 2006 07:07 AM
I'm having this problem, too. I can't wait until someone who knows something helpful answers!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Will Creed on April 02, 2006 09:22 AM
Garden Lady,

Never repot an ailing plant. That is sure to aggravate the problem.

Your plant is apparently quite old. Has it ever been pruned? The fact that it has some flowers and buds is a good sign.

Can you post a photo that includes the entire pot and plant? Also describe your watering routine.

Will Creed
Interior landscaper
by greenut on April 02, 2006 09:51 AM
The ailing branch is not getting sufficient moisture probably because the root is no longer able to supply sufficient water (maybe too old). I would prune out the sick branch and dispose of it in a compost pile. If the rest of the plant is healthy my advice is to give it a gentle pruning just above a node and encourage it to branch out. My experience with Christmas cactus is to move it to a different location after it has finished blooming. This seems to encourage it to blossum more quickly the next time.
by dodge on April 05, 2006 07:49 AM
mY CHRISTMAS CACTUS.........
I CUT OFF LOTS OF LIMBS OF IT TO MAKE IT BLOOM MORE..mINE IS STILL BLOOMING..CUT OFF THE EXTRA LONG AND OLDER BRANCHES, AND NEW ONES WILL GROW RIGHT OUT OF THE STUMP.
iN THE SUMMER I PUT IT OUTDOORS IN THE SHADE.. IT DOES LOVE IT.. I DONT REPOT OFTEN. THEY SEEM TO LIKE THICK AND COZY ROOTS.

DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by mycateatspiderplants on April 13, 2006 08:08 AM
wilting is usually too much water- even though the top layer of dirt is dry it may be holding water down by the roots.

you should always pinch leaves back here and there to encourage growing like stated above. my step mother has had a xmas cactus for like EVER! and she has never re-potted it or anything- but she does fertalise now and then- it use to be her mothers or grandmothers too! it blooma all the time and it is absolutle HUGE- i'd say 2 1/2 to 3 ft accross.
[flower]

saving one pet wont change the world, but surely the world will change for that one pet....
by mycateatspiderplants on April 13, 2006 08:21 AM
ALSO- almost forgot!
Christmas cactus is not drought tolerant. Water the plants thoroughly and let them dry out between watering. (feel beneith dirt with yur finger)
Leaves will wrinkle if the soil is too dry as well as when over watered which can lead to root rot. Water less in the winter. Prune the plants in the summer. Cuttings can be rooted and
started as new plants.

They require a rich, well drained soil, bright indirect light and a daytime temperature of 70 degrees, but dont like it much hotter. they also like slightly cooler night temps- avoid direct prolonged sunlight. you can feed it with a balanced houseplant fertilizer between April and October.

saving one pet wont change the world, but surely the world will change for that one pet....
by dodge on April 13, 2006 08:22 AM
I KEEP MINE ON THE DRY SIDE......RIGHT NOW IT IS STILL BLOOMING......HALF BLOOMED ABOUT FEBRUARY AND NOW THE OTHER HALF..

THE LADY THAT GAVE IT TO ME , SAID IT DIDNT BLOOM FOR HER.. BUT SHE HAD NO WINDOW LIGHT AT ALL FOR IT..

DODGE

-
 -
by dodge on April 13, 2006 08:38 AM
I did read somewhere online, that christmas cactus, require absolutely nothing in the soil??
no fertilizer at all..........I just pinch of a leaf and put it directly into the soil..(It rooted)......

Also some nice lady gave me a cutting of one, the leaves are red, not green..Dont know what color they bloom.

[gabby] [gabby] [gabby] dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: