The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

rice and corn

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Ribbon grass| Next thread: rice with seeds? »
Back to Thread index
by junjun on August 22, 2005 03:18 AM
Hi! I just want to know how much nutrients does rice and corn needs? is complete fertilizer such as 14-14-14 enough? or do i need to add more nitrogen? many thanks
by weezie13 on August 22, 2005 09:59 PM
junjun,
Just wanted to let you know I was going to move
your post into PLANTS AND FLOWERS SECTION,
I think you'll get a better response there in that section......

And Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the
way, we're very glad you found us...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by mike57 on August 24, 2005 12:21 AM
HI JUNJUN i use 13-13-13 on my corn.but i do not know anything about rice but i did find a link that might help you.
http://agebb.missouri.edu/rice/ricefert.htm
I see you are from manila so you should also ask some of the local people in your area about the rice.hope this helps you some.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by papito on August 24, 2005 01:04 AM
Hello Mike57,

Congratulations for the 500th post!

junjun,

I think you can use 14-14-14 (NPK) [or 13-13-13 as mike57 said, others use balance fertilizer in the 10-10-10] to start off your corn, however, from what I understand, during the first 6 weeks, corn plants would use them up and you need to side dress the corn with more fertilizers that have higher nitrogen content. The nitrogen uptake also occurs during the month prior to tasseling and silking. It is also advantageous to plant corns in straight line but shorter length to maximize pollination.

As for fertilizing rice, I think the IRRI[International Rice Research Institute] in Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines might be your best source. Rice is planted mostly in dry soil here in the US and not under the water in paddies.

I think you are the second registered member from Manila.

Ah, Manila, with the most beautiful sunset and the craziest jeepney driving! My last visit there was 1981.

Welcome to The Gardener's Forum from another gardener in the San Francisco Bay Area.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ribbon grass| Next thread: rice with seeds? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: