The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help, please!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by MJohnson on August 12, 2004 10:14 PM
Hey all,
I want to start propagating by cuttings, but I am totally clueless! Any advice/ info would be extremely appreciated!
Thanks
by catlover on August 12, 2004 11:00 PM
Here is a starter....
propagation by cuttings

there are also write ups about seeds....if you search the gardenhelper you will find a lot of valuable information to get you started. If you have any other ?'s just let us all know...there are a whole bunch of great gardeners here to help you out!

Have a great day!
Catlover

-
 -
 -
by loz on August 13, 2004 05:21 AM
What plants are you thinking of taking cuttings from? Just curious.....My wandering and bolivian jews have had many many cuttings taken off of them......I love it when you can buy a plant for 15-20 bucks and have tons of new plants off of the main one.....makes it worth the money.
by Nako on August 13, 2004 07:20 PM
i love the existance of cuttings! Soooooooo many of my plants are from cuttings [Smile] At the greenhouse that i work at, if i see a big plant that i like, all i gotta do is ask, and they'll normally give me a cutting or two ^.^ Its so cool!

This one time, my boss actually called my cell phone while i was off duty, and he goes "Hey Phoebe, we got this new kinda jade here, and it looked like something you'd want." and yep [Smile] You can propagate plants from cuttings in two was from what i've gathered. Leaf, and stem. Leaves normally don't have to be planted, or put in water. You can let em sit on the top of the soil most of the time. Stems can do that too, but you can also put stems in water, or stick em in the soil. Just make sure ya got a node *part where the leaves or other branches shoot out of* [thumb]

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Carly on August 14, 2004 05:11 AM
I have a geranium that is a cutting from a cutting from a cutting, etc.

The original plant was bought in 95. Each year I took something off it. Around 2001 I lost all the geraniums - they just didn't do well. When I put them in the window for the winter, there was only one little stub left.

Well, I still have it - nearly lost it this spring when we had a surprise frost - thought I'd lost the kalanchoes too.

But the geranium's fine and I'm thinking of taking a cutting soon.

The kalanchoe - it's booming - there are 7 pots all told and I know I have to break them up this year.

I think I'll make gifts of their cuttings (it's so easy to grow those things).

I won't have room for them all on the windowsill this winter. So I've got to get rid of some.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Lily789 on August 14, 2004 08:20 PM
Taking cuttings is so fun! It's a great way to expand your plant collection--for free!

I've tried many of my plants. Once I took an Africa Violet leaf, stuck it in soil, and tons of new plants came up.

Once a friend gave me a 6 in. long Wandering Jew vine. I put it in water, waited, and now I've a bowl spilling with vines.

It's that easy! Well, have fun growing cuttings. It's a very rewarding experience.

~Lily
by TomR on August 15, 2004 03:23 PM
I LOVE taking cuttings from Coleus, I have about 15-20 started right now. I did a peperomia earlier this year for the first time and it took!

Cuttings are fun!

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: