The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help me please

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Venus man on October 25, 2005 10:17 AM
hey guys, i need help i just bought a brand new venus fly trap could you tell me how to care for it completely please.And by the way i fed it a rolly polly and a small worm and its kinds wet everyday with distlled watter and keep it in window sill all day and have a lid over it all the time. can you tell me if this is ok or i need to do something different. And dose it need to be in that gass container on the top or should i take it of?
by TulsaRose on October 25, 2005 08:31 PM
Using the search feature at the top of each page, I entered Venus Fly Trap and selected the option for "TheGardenHelper.com" (this website) and it brought up this great information that should answer all of your questions. :-)

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/flytrap.html

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Venus man on October 26, 2005 06:20 AM
Yeah ty i checked out sites already, but im kinda of looking for a personal opionion and what works and what dosen't.
by Will Creed on October 27, 2005 09:12 AM
Venus Flytraps do best in a warm, humid environment with lots of bright indirect light. They also need an acidic, porous growing medium such as sphagnum moss.

It is best to keep the cover over the plant to maintain the humidity around it, However, if you see water droplets starting to collect on the leaves or inside the cover, then open it up briefly to lower the humidity somewhat.

Be careful not to overfeed your traps. I know that is what everyone enjoys about these plants, but their digestive process is slow. It is also important to resist the temptation to trick the traps into snapping shut by touching them.

It is hard to keep these novelty plants alive for a long time in an indoor environment.

Good luck with yours!
by Venus man on October 27, 2005 10:00 AM
Ty you for all ther help but i have one last question. Could i take the top of full time so it can catch its own food?
by Cricket on October 27, 2005 10:26 AM
It is unlikely your home can provide high enough humidity for the Flytrap if the cover is left off permanently. Best bet is to follow Will's advice - he'll never steer you wrong.
by Jiffymouse on October 28, 2005 04:18 AM
venus man,
after this post, i went back and reviewed all the info i had on fly traps. and, what i learned is this:

first, you should have it in a container that will hold water. you need to have the sand/moss mixture moist at all times, but not soggy. now, sometimes it'll get soggy when you first water it, but it shouldn't stay that way.

second, if you want to have the "lid off" you can place it in a deeper version of what i call a "pebble tray". that is basically a container that is 2-4 inches larger than the pot the plant is in. place something in the bottom of the container to let the plants pot rest on, where you can put water in the container, but the plant won't actually be sitting in the water.

i have more info for you, but the library is booting me of the computer. i'll be back later today! [Wink]
by margaret e. pell on October 28, 2005 05:30 AM
See www.californiacarnivores.com
I've kept one alive for many years per his instructions: Grow them in 50/50 peat and sand, in a tray of distilled water to a varying 1/4 to 1 1/4 inch below soil line in full sun. Don't feed them when they're outside in the summer, they'll get their own. Mine always has closed traps with legs sticking out! Anyway, they're native to Carolina freshwater bogs, enjoy a cool winter, don't let them flower (nip the buds) and really, see the Calif Carn site.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: