The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help please

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Help please| Next thread: help please....with poppy seeds »
Back to Thread index
by ninniwinky on May 14, 2005 07:57 PM
Hello Everyone! I am new here and just signed up today, I have NEVER gardened before, so I thought I would try it out this year. I am growing tomato plants. I don't really have a lawn so I thought I would keep each plant I have grown in its own LARGE planter on my deck, that is my plan.
Anyway, the problem I am having is that I transplanted these plants to there own pot about 2 weeks ago. One of the plants went from about 6 inches to nearly a foot!! But one of the bottom leaves have turned yellowish and dropped, what causes this???? Then the other 3 plants I have potted aren't yellow, but on the underside of there most mature leaves, is purple! and they they have barely grown an inch! like I said I am new at this and I have no idea if all these sypmtoms I have mentioned are normal!! [dunno] but somehow I doubt it. Can someone tell me what seems to be wrong, and is it possible to have healthy plants in pots?

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!

Ninniwinky

PS. I hope I can find my way back to this page, i am new at this forum thing....
by Meg on May 14, 2005 08:10 PM
Ninniwinky, first of all, welcome to the garden helper! It's a great place with lots of helpul folks & pages full of information.

Secondly, if you find your way back to this thread.. when you hit reply, scroll down to the bottom, below the smiley faces.. there's "Options". You can have the thread notify you in your email whenever someone replies & it will give you a link to the thread in your email. [thumb]

Lastly.. I'm new at the veggie gardening thing too. I don't know the answer to your questions.. I'm having a bit of trouble with my tomatoes as well. What I do know is this..

1)Tomatoes are supposed to be popular as veggies for first time gardeners, as they are *supposed* to be easy. (So far, I'm not seeing this as a reality!)

2)Yes! Tomatoes can & often are grown in containers! They will get tall, and will likely need some kind of support. (Like a piece of bamboo that you can string it to.)

Other than that, I'm afraid I'm not gonna be much help. My tomatoes are going r e a l l y S L O W. [Roll Eyes]

Hope to see you back!
Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by ninniwinky on May 14, 2005 08:18 PM
YAY!! you are my first reply Meg!! [flower]

I am not seeing this tomato gardening as a cinch either!! I have no idea if I am doing this right!! I told my mom and she said "maybe they are getting too much water, or not enough water" I have no idea how to tell!
We shall see I guess [Roll Eyes]
by ChristinaC on May 15, 2005 02:24 AM
Hi Ninnywinky [wayey]
What kind of soil did you use for your containers? And have you fertilized them at all? Sounds like they might need some feeding. When you do container gardening, you need to fertilize and use a top quality potting soil. Give me a little more info, and I might be able to help.
Christina [muggs]

-
 -
by noneofyourbusiness on May 15, 2005 06:32 AM
Tomatoes grow very fast. When they get larger, it's usual for the bottom few leaves to die off. AS for the purpleish colour, it might be a nutrient lock out, what are you feeding it?
by ninniwinky on May 15, 2005 05:39 PM
Thank you guys soooo much for giving me some pointers. Keep In mind I have never grew anything before! Now, with that said, I have fed it NOTHING...I really didn't know that I had to! [dunno] I thought they were pretty self sufficient. I thought it might have been our water becuase we have city water, and who knows what kind of chemicals are in that. As far as the soil goes, I bought it had Home Depot, "Sta-green" "planting mix used for flowers and vegetables, with 'Sta-Green' Time released plant food" That is exactly what I used , I don't know if this helps. Do you guys know if its ok to use the water that drips out of the planter, to Re-water my plants. kind of recycling? I did it yesterday, I though maybe the water drippings had some nutrients or something in it that I could put back in the soil.
Ok thats it, be nice, remember I am a Newbie!!! [lala]
by ninniwinky on May 15, 2005 06:21 PM
I also forgot to ask what kind of Plant food i should be giving them, I have some old Miracle grow plany spikes, but I think that the age of the spikes might make them weak or maybe it would go the other way and make them too potent.

thanks again!!

ninni
by Jiffymouse on May 15, 2005 09:05 PM
i'd not use them, not because they are no good, but they do create "hot spots". what i would do is dissolve them in water then use the water. that is what i am going to do!
by ChristinaC on May 16, 2005 05:36 PM
Hi ninniwinky [wayey] (don't ya just love the wavey?!)
I'm not an expert but I love growing vegetables, especially tomatoes! I could eat them everyday!!
Some of my tomato leaves have turned yellow. I'm not concerned. They were the mature leaves and my plants are doing amazing this year. I'm just sure to fertilize and water. I don't have a favourite fertilize. Someone at a garden center will point you in the right direction. Just read directions carefully - don't over fertilize!!
The purple leaves indicate a phosphorous deficiency. You can maybe remedy the problem by spreading phosphate rock on the soil or us composted wood ashes, citrus wastes, manures or fish wastes.
I don't reuse the water that drips out because I use drip trays under all my plants. The plants will soak up the drippings as needed. It's always good to have the plants drinking from the bottom - helps the roots grow deeper in search for water.....strengthens them. Hope this helps a little. Don't give up yet! Good Luck!!!
Christina [muggs]

-
 -
by ninniwinky on May 19, 2005 09:22 PM
Thanks Christina!!

I appreciate everyones help. I will NOT use the water that drips from the plants. and I bought some Fertilizer and they have grown about 3 inches in 3 days! No joke!! I am laying off of that fetilizer this week...LOL!!!

thanks!!

NINNI
by obywan59 on May 20, 2005 09:16 AM
The purple on the leaves I believe is a potassium deficiency. You're fertilizer should take care of it. I've seen it in transplants in the garden when it's too cool. The potassium is absorbed better by the plants when the temperature warms.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Katb on May 20, 2005 03:01 PM
sometimes they go into transplant shock be sure to add some epson salts to your water a couple tbs per gallon they love acid. I use that stuff on everything veggies, flowers, bushs & tree,s it,s great [kitty]
by ninniwinky on May 20, 2005 04:51 PM
Thanks!!!

hey Kat, about the epsom salt thing, I know they say Gardenia's need acidic soil, do you think the epsom salt will help with that also??? I was looking all around the house for an acidic ingredient for my gardnia, I think I have just found it!!!! [grin]

You know, if anyone knows, I have this reddish brown looking corrosion on the soil of my Gardenia, I swear it looks like rust corrosion. does anyone know what this is??

Thanks!!!

ninnni
by Katb on May 21, 2005 12:04 AM
yep! that would be the very thing for your gardenias, hanging fern baskets love the stuff too, most of the time I just take out a handful out of the bag & sprinkle it around my plants its a great deterant for those nasty little buggers they call snails I hate those things, my freind Freda who is 81 yrs young got me useing it she puts it on every single thing she grows she even says it keeps ground moles out of your garden I,m not to sure about that one though but it is very good for almost every thing I,ve ever grown. [kitty]
quote:
Originally posted by ninniwinky:
Thanks!!!

hey Kat, about the epsom salt thing, I know they say Gardenia's need acidic soil, do you think the epsom salt will help with that also??? I was looking all around the house for an acidic ingredient for my gardnia, I think I have just found it!!!! [grin]

You know, if anyone knows, I have this reddish brown looking corrosion on the soil of my Gardenia, I swear it looks like rust corrosion. does anyone know what this is??

Thanks!!!

ninnni

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help please| Next thread: help please....with poppy seeds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: