The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Relocating Yucca

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by netwiz on May 12, 2006 01:59 AM
I found a few people who would like to take some of the yucca plants off my hands. (31 plants was the official count) How do I separate the ones that are growing in clumps together? Do I need roots or will just the "stump" be enough? One person lives 3 hours away. How do I prepare the plants so they will stay healthy while out of the ground? Is there anything special they need to do before replanting them?

I'm brand new to gardening and appreciate any advice you can give.

Joanne
by joclyn on May 12, 2006 12:32 PM
i don't have an answer for you...

i'd be interested in one of the plants tho! [Wink] and i could give you iris (dark purple bearded)or daylily (orange) in trade

i don't know how far i am from you - can anyone say if the yucca would survive being mailed?
by netwiz on May 13, 2006 12:46 AM
Hi Joclyn,

I'm about 1.5 hours from Philly. I have family in southern NJ and drive through your area at least once a month. I would be happy to trade the Yucca! I will be removing at least 15 so let me know if you would like more than one.

Will iris do well in a partly shaded area? The spot I would plant it gets about 4 or 5 hours of morning/afternoon sun. The lily bulbs seem to be growing well there if that is any indication.

My first trade... I'm so excited!

Joanne
by joclyn on May 13, 2006 05:56 AM
oh! you're MUCH closer than i thought!!

the iris should do just fine with that amount of sunlight. the particular iris that i have is pretty hardy. geez, i wasn't expecting blooms from any that i just transplanted (kinda the wrong time). pfft! dunno what i was worried about - they're ALL blooming [flower]

if you can spare 2 yucca, that would be wonderful!

pm so we can make arrangements - maybe we can do a meet-halfway-thing...and have a nice lunch somewhere...
by netwiz on May 13, 2006 07:07 AM
Joclyn,

Just sent a pm. I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Joanne
by joclyn on May 13, 2006 06:26 PM
joanne, looking forward to meeting you, too! just sent you a pm back...

do you know what kind of yucca it is? that might help in finding out the best way to split the plants.

if you don't know, could you post some pics?
by netwiz on May 14, 2006 04:58 AM
Hi Jocyln,

I will pm you with details for meeting up. Here is a picture of one of the yucca plants. The closest ID I could come up with is either soft yucca or adams needle. The shoots are not stiff and sharp like some of the other types.

Yucca plant

Joanne
by joclyn on May 14, 2006 02:59 PM
from the pic and your description of the leaves, i think it is the soft yucca. it has white flowers, right?
by netwiz on May 16, 2006 03:47 AM
I haven't seem them bloom yet. We moved in last fall after the blooms were already gone. I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like!

Active Garden Forum