The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cultivating Yucca

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by dulcevoce on April 25, 2005 01:12 AM
I have just dug up some young Yucca plants, and would like some instruction in cultivating these plants. How long does it take for Yucca to make new roots, and how long should I water it daily until it can go on its own?

-
by loz on April 25, 2005 03:55 AM
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. I'm going to go ahead and move your post over to the plants and flowers topic where you will be sure to get some replies to your question.

Thanks for joining us all~~Laura
by gardenmom32210 on April 25, 2005 02:24 PM
Hi [wayey] Welcome to the forum!

Do you have your yuccas in pots or in the ground? How long have you been watering them every day?

I've always found them to be extremely durable plants. I've even thrown one in my "pile" that I thought was dead,well needless to say it came back to life after a couple of weeks. Mine are in the ground and get watered by me twice a week,more if mother nature pitches in. Once established they are very drought tolerant.

G-Mom [grin]
by dulcevoce on April 25, 2005 04:24 PM
I will be planting the Yuccas in the ground today, so they have not been watered yet. I know to water them until they are established, but can't find any info to tell me an approximate established time -- if there is one. We will be away from home this summer for about 2-3 mos., and don't know if Mother Nature will deliver much, if any, rain here in Far West Texas. Think they'll be okay?

-
by connie mounsey on April 26, 2005 02:33 PM
I just wanted to say that hummingbirds love yucca plant blooms. I can remember watching them at my grandma's. I would love to have a few in my yard. I did see some at a garden center yesterday. I may have to go get a few! My mom has the coral yucca and they are really pretty.

Connie

Without faith life has no meaning.
by obywan59 on April 27, 2005 04:27 PM
Welcome to the forum Dulcevolce! Here is a link to a site on yuccas and other desert plants. It is a pdf file, but it's only 3 pages long. The information on transplanting and recovery time is on the 3rd page. Cactus, Agave, Yucca and Ocotillo

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum