The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

relocating myself and my plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by dedee on December 12, 2005 02:58 PM
We are buying a new home and I have 16 Hostas I dont want to leave behind. Oklahoma is in the midsts of winter and I want to dig them up and box them till spring. (did this before but it was in fall not winter) I also have tons of lariope I would like to take some to my new home also.( never boxed up lariope ) any suggestions?
by peppereater on December 21, 2005 12:30 AM
dedee...sorry, as a fellow Oklahoman, I should have jumped on this topic when I first saw it. I don't box things for overwintering, so I left this question for someone else.
I would just plant the hostas and liriope where I wanted them, but if you don't have the time, keep them in a cool, dry place until you can. You might want to wrap them in the perforated plastic from a head of lettuce, but either way, you'll want to fill around them in the box with peat moss and or wood shavings. In Oklahoma, you can plant things right through the winter as long as they're dormant, and liriope in particular can take a lot of abuse. I hope this helps.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: