The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Growing Cactus from seed, any one been succesfull?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Growing Butterfly bush from seeds| Next thread: Growing Chillis »
Back to Thread index
by DeepCreekLake on March 17, 2006 09:50 AM
Anyone had any luck growing cactus from seeds? I bought a pack to try (was mixed types in one pack), and had zero luck. I did heat the flat like I do with all the other stuff, but they did nothing! The germination time on the seed pack said 15-21 day, I gave it alot longer. Dug up the soil the seed was still there not doing anything. Anyone have tips on growing cacti from seed? I know other people who have tried with no luck as well!
by MissJamie on March 17, 2006 11:28 AM
maybe you could try growing them where they will have humidity? maybe grow them in a container or something so the container can "sweat"?

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by DeepCreekLake on March 17, 2006 07:38 PM
I grew them in one of those bio dome-seed starter flats witha clear lid, and a heater underneath, it gets pretty sweaty in there. Everything else Ive grown in it has grown, just the cactus dont. I havent heard many people say theve been successfull with them, they must be difficult or something.
by weezie13 on March 17, 2006 08:52 PM
Have you tried just planting them on top
of the soil???
They say to plant those like 1/16", which is
little to nothing at all on top...

Try doing an experiment, some in no dome,
some in just dirt, some outside..
and see if you have any luck...

I got a package of that stuff last year at the end of the year clearance...

I don't know why I did, cause I had a baaaaaad night once with a cactus and really do not have the room for them now, but thought I'd give them
a try and see what happens..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by FRITO on March 18, 2006 03:20 AM
I grow them from seed, and they are difficult. not just your normal bean wrapped in a napkin soaked in water.

I am currently trying the best way to get them to sprout also. I got mini domed greenhouse under a plant light.

I have some in a container with platic stretched across top. sorda like a green house.

You dont want hardly an condensation to collect, it will be too moist. you want it be just humid enough in there but not like a rain forest.

last year i had 7 sprout out of half the package. mxed cati for like 99cents.

I saved the other half for this year. so far nothing is sprouting. today marks 2 weeks. and a week and half for my mini dome batch. I had to much moisture and had asmall fungus problem on seeds.I let it air out more. looks like that is fixed.

i think the seeds are too old now. germination rate has decreased. I collected some prickly pear seeds to last fall. i tried planting them
so far no luck either.

I ordered some san pedro seeds and lots of peruvian torch seeds. these should do better for me.
by margaret e. pell on March 18, 2006 06:48 AM
I've grown a bunch from seed, the oldest area pair of 2 year old rebutias that are flowering right now. (most cacti need to be older to bloom) I started them and the others in 2" black plastic pots in a slightly damp mix of peat, vermiculite, and sand. I put the seeds on top and sprinkle a VERY THIN layer of fine sand over that. It's easy to tell when the pots are getting dry by the way the sand looks/moves. I put these little pots in a low plastic container with a clear top. I put this in a location that will get 4ish hours of sun a day. I've always gotten good germination rates. After that I water from the bottom with distilled water for a few months so not to knock them around. They have almost no roots and are easy to tip over. I take the lid off after I water them, (never let there be standing water in the container!) and put it back on after they start to dry out. After a month or so I leave the lid off perminantly, thin to 2 or 3 per pot, and increase the sun. I usualy water twice a week, except in the summer because it is very humid here usually. They stay in the plastic pots for at least a year.
www.mesagarden.com is an excellent source of seed. Good luck!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by dodge on March 18, 2006 09:07 AM
COUNT ME IN.........I WAS SUCCESSFUL GROWING CACTUS SEED, IN COLD PENNSYLVANIA...I JUST PLANTED THE SEED IN DIRT AND IT GREW ..NO HEAT OR ANY THING..THAT WAS ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO.. ONE IS ABOUT 6 INCHES TALL............
SLOW , SLOW , SLOW.. PROCESS.........
NOW SOMEONE SAYS PUT THEM IN SOIL WITH A SAND MIX WITH BONE MEAL>.

DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by dodge on March 18, 2006 09:43 AM
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/forum/52.html?

[wavey]
HERE IS A PHOTO OF THE CACTUS I HAVE GROWN FROM SEEDS..........

I SAY 3 OR 4 YEARS OLD.. I HATE TO MOVE IT .

IT CAN BE DONE.

DODGE [grin]

-
 -
by dodge on March 20, 2006 06:49 AM
help some one .loz or another, My photo didnt appear on the last message......Is that because i had 2/

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Growing Butterfly bush from seeds| Next thread: Growing Chillis »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: