The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Growing Chillis

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by emmarose on July 20, 2006 01:35 AM
Does anyone have any experience of growing chillis? I have five chilli plants growing in a windowbox on my kitchen windowsill and one has produced a chilli which is now the best part of 2 inches long. Its green and shows no sign of changing colour. Is now the best time to pick it or should I leave it another while?

The plant that its on isn't growing half as fast as the others which is why I'm thinking that the chilli is as long as its going to get and that I should pick it.

Also, there seem to be small leave type things, approx 3mm long, growing at the joint of the main stem and some of the branches. I know when growing tomatoes these should be picked off as they take the goodness out of the plant - does the same apply for chillis?

Thanks,

em

"Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of life's problems" - Homer Simpson
by Sorellina on July 20, 2006 04:50 AM
Ciao emma,

Peppers grow slowly outside of Texas and Mexico. It's possible that yours aren't getting enough sunlight and/or heat. They like it HOT and lots and lots of sun.

In light of the fact that they don't grow fast, don't pinch off any extra leaves. They are helping the plant photosynthesize and that's never a bad thing.

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by PAR_Gardener on July 20, 2006 05:39 AM
Emma,

Hot peppers take a long time to change color. Some take around a month or more to "ripen". You can pick it now if you want to or if you want to use it in a dish.

For example, most people eat Jalapeno chili peppers while they are still green. If you leave them on the plant long enough they will turn red.

The flavor will change as the pepper matures. It's a subtle change, that's why you can use the chili now. The heat of the un-ripe chili will depend on the variety of the chili.

If you do pick the chili, it may help stimulate plant growth.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.

Active Garden Forum