The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Growing Butterfly bush from seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by gardenfairy on August 12, 2006 05:04 PM
I just received some butterfly bush seeds and was wondering when is the best time to plant them, and also do I have to do anything special to them before I plant?

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by TulsaRose on August 13, 2006 11:52 PM
Monica, I've never grown Butterfly bush from seeds, just cuttings, but I'll try to give you a hand here. First, let me ask a quick question.

You are referring to the Buddleja davidii, Butterfly Bush?

Not to be confused with Asclepias tuberosa, Butterfly Weed?

Check out the info on those links...you should find plenty of good info there on both plants. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gardenfairy on August 14, 2006 03:30 AM
I'm not really sure. The seeds look like small dried up berries.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

by TulsaRose on August 14, 2006 07:54 AM
Monica, see if this helps...
 -

I'm guessing from your description you have Butterfly Weed seeds. Did you check out the two links I put in the previous post? Don't let the name scare you...they are members of the Milkweed family...hence the name...and are real super duper Butterfly magnets as a food plant.

Bookmark the following website for future use. It is one most "cyber" gardeners refer to for seed and seedling ID's. The Alpha Selection is at the bottom of the page...don't know why they didn't put it at the top. [Wink] Click on this link... The Seed Site.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gardenfairy on August 14, 2006 08:42 AM
Oh, Thank you so much, that site is great!!!! I believe I have butterfly weed.

Monica

-

by imarose on August 22, 2006 01:59 PM
Rosie...read your post on butterfly bush cuttings. I trimmed mine today and was wondering about planting some of those cuttings. What do u do to get yours to start rooting?
by TulsaRose on August 23, 2006 12:20 AM
imarose, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. [Wink]

I take cuttings of greenwood, about 8" - 10", making the cut about 1\4" below a leaf node. Leave just two sets of leaves at the top, strip all others. I guess you could use rooting hormone powder but I don't. I use a pencil or something similar to make a hole in the soil about 6" deep and stick in the cutting, firm the soil and water frequently. I put the container in the shade until rooting takes place.

They are one of the easiest plants I know of to get started this way. I'm not sure but it seems like I've read somewhere you can even root them in water prior to potting up.

I hope that info helps. If you have any more questions, post back to this thread. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on August 23, 2006 08:39 AM
I saw the neatest thing on DIY or HGTV this weekend with that goofy guy - oh, I have to look it up and show you all, it was very neat. Look for future email from me on how to get cuttings growing! I'll look right now.

PattyM

Active Garden Forum