The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Roses are flying away... literally!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Roses and winter| Next thread: Roses in containers? »
Back to Thread index
by Cassalo on June 15, 2006 07:31 AM
I have a rose tree that has just started reblooming after a period of time with no blooms. The last blooms were big, colorful and beautiful and this bunch seemed to be tiny, and not very long lasting. When I went out to water my plants today I saw what looked like a bee buzzing around the new blooms I stopped to watch, expecting him to crawl around and leave but I couldn't believe what I saw... He sat on a petal, cut it in half and flew away with it! he was back not even 2 miutes later doing the same. Then I notice the same shape cut in some of the leaves. What is he doing and how can a save my poor plant which is literally flying away!?!??! Please help!

Cassy
by Cassalo on June 15, 2006 07:46 AM
So I looked around and found out that it is a leaf cutter bee. But why is he destroying my roses? It says that they aren't harmful, they're actually good, but they're destroying my blooms [Frown]
by peppereater on June 15, 2006 12:30 PM
Wow, I've never heard of that. Do they use it for nest material?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by tcmers on June 15, 2006 01:09 PM
Might make some [Mad] at me, but if they were my roses I'd be spraying with insecticide..... I spray daily once it gets into Japanese beetle season. Little beggers munch on my blooms and it's the last bloom they munch.
by Cassalo on June 16, 2006 08:39 AM
I was very anrgy seeing this bee cut up my roses. Supposedly they do take these perfectly cut pieces (its actually pretty amazing to see) to line their nests. I also found out that it is a solitary bee. So it was just one lady who found her way up to my 2nd floor balcony and claimed my tree for her own. Everything I read tells me that they cut the leaves but for some reason she was cutting the petals. I reluctantly sprayed the plant. I felt kinda guilty because she was working so hard and it was so neat to watch her cut perfect circles. I haven't seen her today and now I'm feeling kinda guilty but I suppose my tree will be a little happier now.
by tcmers on June 16, 2006 12:01 PM
I did the same thing last year.....The guilt trip I mean. LOL!
Although I'm still going to whack them; I still feel bad sometimes...like "What right do I have". But!! Why bother planting all of your beautiful flowers if you're just going to let something destroy or kill them? Plus could you imagine if some of us didn't use insecticide? eeeekkkk! Toooooo many bugs! I try to move toads & stuff into the garden but they can't seem to keep up when the heavy season gets here.
by Cassalo on June 17, 2006 07:57 AM
You're right tcmers, I have worked hard to keep my tree beautiful (not to mention paid a bundle for it!) I do feel a little better now.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Roses and winter| Next thread: Roses in containers? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: