The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Roses and winter

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by debnoel on September 13, 2006 10:09 PM
I bought 4 roses this summer, a florabunda,an English rose, and two tea roses. I put them in a large garden that will be exposed to the full force of winter. Should I cover them with rose cones for the winter? I have 2 other tea roses that I do not cover because they are in a protected spot next to the house. I am afraid that without some protection the new ones may not make it. [dunno]
by netty on September 14, 2006 05:10 AM
I usually cut mine back and cover almost the entire plant with mulch or soil.

-
 -
by joclyn on September 14, 2006 07:09 AM
i put down a good, thick (about 6 inches) of leaves - packed down a bit close to the plants. i use those small, white plastic coated wire edgers (got them at the dollar store) to hold the leaves in place (some spots are pretty exposed to wind).

if the canes are really tall, i'll trim them back some...otherwise, i leave the pruning until early/mid march.
by debnoel on September 14, 2006 11:56 PM
Thanks everyone.I have some large plastic pots that shrubs came in and I think I might put leaves around the canes and then cover them with the pots. There are holes in the pots so some air will circulate. I will have to do a bit of pruning, probably down to 6-8 inches. Do you think this will work?

AND Joclyn if spring comes and you need the autumn clematis, let me know and I will send you some plants. I usually just rip them up because they come up EVERYWHERE. I've given them to friends and they have found them to be quite vigorous growers overtaking fences and mailbox posts!!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: