The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Roses in containers?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Roses are flying away... literally!| Next thread: Roses look sick »
Back to Thread index
by Cassalo on April 19, 2006 01:48 AM
I'm still so new at this! I'm planting a container garden out on my second story balcony. I just love roses, but I'm not sure how they would do in a container. Can it be done? And if so, is there a certain kind I should get?

Thanks in advance!
Cassy
by Jiffymouse on April 19, 2006 10:23 AM
i've had roses of all kinds in containners for years and the only drawback i have seen is that they need more water than if they were in the ground because they dry out faster.
by Deborah L. on April 19, 2006 11:34 AM
Same with me, all kinds in containers 12 inches or more. They need more water and a bit heavier on the food, lotsa sun, and you have happy roses just like the roses in the ground.
In fact, I feel that they can be much more easily controlled in pots. Pruning and so forth.

-
 -
by Rosepetal on April 23, 2006 03:25 PM
Deborah L.
How big are your containers for your roses?
I love tea roses and am having a problem keeping them over the winter in my zone 3 area.
I bought 2 new ones (tea roses again) and wonder how I should do the containers.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Jiffymouse on April 23, 2006 04:06 PM
depends on the kind of rose, but i use the largest plastic container (roughly the size of a 5 gallon bucket) that the stores sell. i use those for the bigger roses. the smaller varieties can go in smaller containers of course.
by Cassalo on April 24, 2006 04:49 PM
I've decided to get a rose tree! They are so beautiful and they really do look nice in pots. Plus, it will add a nice tall level to my little container garden on my balcony. I don't have a pot yet, I've been looking around for one though. Any suggestions on a pot size for a 36 inch rose tree? Also, if I end up getting a 24 inch tree, and I plant it in a large pot, will it grow larger? Thanks for your help guys, I'm so new to this!

Cassy
by Mrs.Bradley on April 30, 2006 02:20 PM
Hey cassalo!
I too have roses in containers and same as everyone else, mine need more water. they are in good size pots.

I was looking on the internet one day and found at Jackson& Perkins in Medford,Oregon has a weeping rose tree. its beautiful and comes in a few colors...if youre interested. they are not too expensive either, maybe 30 dollars. take a peek at their site. im sure youll like them.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on April 30, 2006 05:51 PM
Rosepetal,
My rose (I have only one) is in a 12 inch clay pot. I don't know what it is, a tea or whatever.
The tag didn't say, and I've never seen a tag that does. All it said was "Electra".
Since it makes one rose per stem, and the rose stays intact for a few days, I'd guess that it is a tea. I think a florabunda makes several little roses on one stem, like a bouquet at the tip of one stem.
It sure takes frequent watering, that's for sure !

-
 -
by Deborah L. on April 30, 2006 05:53 PM
When I said that I have "all kinds" in my previous post, I meant all kinds of plants. I have only one rose.

-
 -
by Rosepetal on May 03, 2006 08:44 AM
Deborah
I'm definitly going to try a tea rose in a container. That way I can bring it in during the winter and it will keep. Tea roses are very touchy about cold winters, not to mention the chinook winds we get here. We get cold then these winds warm everything to a melting point, then bang it freezes again. [tears] So goes........ [dunno]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Deborah L. on May 04, 2006 04:46 AM
I think mine is a tea rose. It's deep pink. Each rose stays on a long time.
I'm jumping with happiness-the neighbor to whom I gave my Carefree Wonder yellow rose gave it back.
I really regretted giving it away, and then I find out she doesn't want it ! Wow !
So now I have two container roses.
The Carefree is a landscape rose, it has much smaller leaves and a spreading, airy habit. I'm so glad to have her back !

-
 -
by ttouslee on May 05, 2006 02:56 AM
I am pretty late jumping in here, but I had a balcony full of minature roses in containers last summer. I was very dissappointed as I discovered they did not survive the winter. I had kept them in the shed, I am guessing the lack of sun and occassional watering killed them off! imagine that!
But they grew beautifully last summer.

Tammy
true lover of all flowers
by gomerp618 on May 18, 2006 01:33 PM
when I bought my house last summer I found several potted roses shoved in the hedges, seemingly forgotten for who knows how long. I put them on the deck, watered them freely and they rewarded me with some beautiful flowers. I hadn't decided where to put them by the time winter rolled around so I put them on a ledge in my basement and watered them when I remembered. I put them out on the deck again this year and they are doing great. I'm glad I never planted them now since I am selling my house again now and will take them with me.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Roses are flying away... literally!| Next thread: Roses look sick »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: