The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

herbs in containers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Herbs in a window box| Next thread: herbs indoors »
Back to Thread index
by ladybug67 on May 20, 2006 03:37 AM
I posted in herbs about growing herbs in containers and was wondering if i should have put rocks in the bottom, I use the soil from the garden and now I was wondering if I should start over?? Just planted them in the containers yesterday 5/18/06. Not sure if the plant containers have good drainage?? What can I do!!! Thanks Dee

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by chenno on May 20, 2006 03:49 AM
Hi

I use rocks and or broken clay pot scraps, I have forgot and just taken some rocks and a long object and pushed a few to the bottom,but mircle grow has a new soil called moisture control that holds moisture and feeds the plants, just pick up a small bag and work in a bit...

Just a thought? HAVE A GOOD DAY
Angie

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Deborah L. on May 20, 2006 06:11 AM
You can drill drainage holes in any pot. If it's ceramic, use a porcelain bit.
Our local garden expert says that the rocks in the bottom thing doesn't do anything, and in the end the roots have nowhere to go and bang up against wet rocks.
I say they'd bang up against the bottom of the pot anyway, but I guess he'd know.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 20, 2006 06:13 AM
The pot doesn't have to be empty to drill, just lay it on its side. A quick drill won't harm the plant at all.

-
 -
by ishaffer on May 31, 2006 01:40 PM
I am a firm believer in drainage holes to be sure bottom roots aren't soaking in water. I think using potting soil rather than soil from the garden is better because it is formulated for best growing in containers and is sterilized. Garden soil can contain bacteria and fungal organisms you don;t want in your containers.
by Longy on June 01, 2006 08:35 AM
Garden soil will tend to pack down hard in a pot over time, perhaps less so if it is full of organic matter/compost, whereas potting soil is going to remain aerated and porous. It has additives like perlite or vermiculite to ensure this. Plants require air to the rootsystem as much as they require water.
The rocks in the bottom don't really do much except mean you need less soil to fill the pot. It's the holes in the bottom that do the draining.
Drainage is a must for all plants except bog type plants and those that have evolved in wet conditions. Generally, the common herbs are not among them.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Herbs in a window box| Next thread: herbs indoors »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: