The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bamboo in containers?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: bamboo houseplants| Next thread: BAMBOO IN SOIL »
Back to Thread index
by Gupleton on May 07, 2006 12:28 PM
I have heard that bamboo will root if one just sticks a stalk of it in the ground. I am hoping this is true. I'm trying to start some bamboo in containers to make living privacy screens for a few unsightly items in my back yard. I've got some rooting in water, and stuck some in moist container soil. Any suggestions? I don't see this done a lot, I'm wondering if it is harder than I think? (My yard is full shade, and I have no money, which I find has limited my options here to bamboo that I can get for free...).
by snapdragon on May 07, 2006 02:44 PM
There are lots of different kinds of bamboo... temperature hardiness varies among the different species. Some of them root really easily in soil, however, they spread almost too easily (you'll probably have to do a good bit of maintenance to keep them in line). I've seen them outdoors as privacy "fencing" down in Mexico and they do great, but I don't know what they're capable of up here with the temperature changes in the Mid Atlantic.
This is a good site for additional free info:

http://www.bamboosourcery.com/catalog.cfm

Good luck!

Snapdragon
by Deborah L. on May 07, 2006 03:05 PM
I love bamboo. It will make a wonderful screen for you, if you can get it going well.
Good luck !

-
 -
by Longy on May 08, 2006 01:26 AM
There are 2 basic types of bamboo. Running and clumping types. If you plant clumping bamboo, it will be a great plant and perfect for a screen. If you plant running bamboo, you may be releasing a monster. My advice. If it's a running type, do not ever plant it in the ground unless you have acres of land you don't need. I wouldn't even plant a running bamboo in a pot. Scary stuff. It can get away years later and become a massive pest almost impossible to get rid of. So check if it's a running or clumping type.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Deborah L. on May 08, 2006 05:47 AM
Yes, I saw this warning on a gardening show.
Clumping bamboo is the way to go.

-
 -
by Gupleton on May 13, 2006 05:26 AM
Oh dear. I'm pretty sure this is running bamboo. But the "soil" in our yard seems to be pretty hostile to all known life forms. I will take care that it stays in the containers, and see where the science experiment takes us.
by 'Sparagus on May 17, 2006 01:48 PM
quote:
My advice. If it's a running type, do not ever plant it in the ground unless you have acres of land you don't need. I wouldn't even plant a running bamboo in a pot. Scary stuff.
I wish I knew about this a couple years ago when I planted one my neighbor gave me....right near the foundation.....got a leak in the basement now!! [scaredy]

I chop the stuff down as soon as it comes up, but it just doesnt stop. Ive seen it out of control around houses on the area.

But I wouldnt be too scared about growing it in a pot....as long as you warn anyone that wants a cutting!!! [Big Grin]

[flower]
by Longy on May 18, 2006 04:42 PM
I wouldnt be too scared about growing it in a pot....
+++++++++
The problem with growing them in a pot is they end up too big, so they get potted up, get too big etc. Then one day it's "Too big for that spot, i'm gonna sit the pot out in the garden".
From there it will put a runner out a drainage hole, take root and then it owns your yard.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Deborah L. on May 19, 2006 04:37 AM
Sounds worse than mint ! SCARY !

-
 -
by snapdragon on May 21, 2006 03:22 PM
those and the wild violets in my yard are what I cheerily refer to as my invasives.... [Wink] [Wink]

Snapdragon

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: bamboo houseplants| Next thread: BAMBOO IN SOIL »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: