The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Question about Sowbugs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by loz on April 21, 2006 04:29 AM
I seriously have a gazillion of them out in my flowerbeds and under my planters, etc....

Tons, and tons of them.... [Razz]

Do they do any damage to the lawn or flowers??? [dunno] Is it really bad to have so many of them????? I mean, I noticed A LOT!

Thanks. [wavey]
by afgreyparrot on April 21, 2006 06:20 AM
I don't even know what a sowbug is..... [Embarrassed]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 06:29 AM
rolley polley bugs,potato bugs. the mini armadillo ones? Is that the one ? I have no clue if they are bad but the do get in my cellar... [dunno]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by peppereater on April 21, 2006 06:30 AM
I think it's the same thing as a pillbug, a roly-poly. They can damage anything that actually contacts the ground...they've even eaten bites out of my tomatoes. They like hosta leaves...if they touch the groung. They don't seem to eat the stems of plants, at least not that I've ever seen. They DO eat tons and tons of organic stuff like dead leaves, grass clippings and to some extent wood mulch. They like shady, moist areas, and sometimes hide under mulch, newspapers used as weed block, etc.
Do you see any damage to anything?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by peppereater on April 21, 2006 06:32 AM
SpringFeaver...they're not the same as what I know as potato bugs, which ARE harmful, and don't look like armadillos!

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by SpringFever on April 21, 2006 06:55 AM
that is what we used to call them as kids Pepper
they are about the same shape but when you pick them up they roll in a ball... used to love playing with them..

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by loz on April 21, 2006 08:14 AM
quote:
I think it's the same thing as a pillbug,
Yep, that's them [Razz] ...I just never knew a lot about them....I was planting stuff today and it was like a sea of them in the dirt....grossed me out! [Razz] But I can handle them fine, just don't want them hurting my plants.....Nothing is damaged as of yet because I just started planting stuff today.
by Buglady on April 21, 2006 11:15 AM
Sowbugs and Pillbugs

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: