The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fall Fling Seed Exchange Pt IV

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2 3
by floweringchild on November 03, 2006 03:18 AM
Hi Angela! [wavey]
Thanks, that's a beautiful palm tree!

-
 -
by Triss on November 03, 2006 06:42 AM
I will definitely share my seed template with anyone who wants them. Just send me a PM.

Tammy I got my seeds today and WOW!!! When I asked for zinnias and cosmos I thought I would get one or two packs of them and a few other things to enhance my garden but I got 5 varieties of cosmos and 8 of zinnia. Thank you so much.

The only one I do not know what they are is a package bibbee that look like big round nuts. Can you both tell me what these are?

Thank you so much Tammy, this stuff is just awesome!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by tcmers on November 03, 2006 09:36 AM
Bibee, I got some of your palm tree seeds too...They are pretty neat. I don't think they'll do well outside in zone 5 but I'm thinking about trying a few indoors. Any special instructions for us?
Also, My computer crashed a few months ago, and I think I was supposed to send you a picture of Gerbera daisy going to seed....I never did. I'm Sorry. If you want, PM me your address and I can send you some seed so you can see them. [Smile]
Sybil...Your seed packs are my favorite. I love the hand drawn packets. Such a special touch. They are lovely! (Everyone elses are wonderful too, but I have a soft spot for home made stuff).
by kennyso on November 03, 2006 10:09 AM
Hi Tammy, any sight of our packages yet? Go real easy on the mail man or he might never have a chance to give them to you LOL!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by Triss on November 03, 2006 11:20 AM
Just for all to see. This is how I do my templates. I made one up tonight for Sheri. It is grainy cuz I shrunk it but you get the idea.

-

-
 -
by loz on November 03, 2006 11:27 AM
That's pretty! I'm out of ink or I would've made some up too...instead I was just cutting and taping paper....took forever! [Eek!]
by Triss on November 03, 2006 11:34 AM
I have to remember to make a bunch up that do not have names or what is included in them so I can send them out when I send cards and stuff.

-
 -
by bibee on November 03, 2006 08:28 PM
The only one I do not know what they are is a package bibbee that look like big round nuts. Can you both tell me what these are?

Triss
If it's the big seeds they are palm tree.

Tcmers
The only thing i did was planted them. Hadn't
seen anything yet. And the daisy thanks for the
seeds but I got so many now.

Angela

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/bibee1990/
by tkhooper on November 03, 2006 09:07 PM
Yep the big round nut looking seeds are the palm tree seeds. I got so busy sending them out I forgot to save one for me lol. But then with my tiny apartment I'd never have been able to grow one. I can't even afford the large pots to put them in. lol

Cece you envelope from Canada arrived yesterday. Kenny & Penny no luck on your packages. I wish I knew what to say. It just doesn't make any sense at all that those two packages keep having trouble when everything else is getting through.

Planting Cleome. Direct sow about 1/2 inch deep in full sun and keep moist until they sprout. Once sprouted average water and fertilizer is fine. They are really easy care. And you end up with thousands of seeds lol.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on November 03, 2006 09:09 PM
I have mailed mine from our post office and added more postage and they said i shouldnt have any problems this time around, its a week today (friday)....they had better show up [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] ...I've got 30 packs of seeds in there [Mad] [thumb]

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on November 03, 2006 09:19 PM
Hey Penny. Thankyou for telling me the number of seeds you sent in. That way I can begin picking out your seeds. At least that way the turn around will be quick. It is disturbing when something like this happens.

We'll just cross our fingers that today is the day.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on November 03, 2006 09:35 PM
Fingers crossed too....if not today then i hope Monday at the latest....they are in a big yellow envelope, and my return envelope is inside with the postage...so if you see a big yellow envelope, you know its me!

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on November 03, 2006 10:07 PM
Partygirl, Believe it or not your envelope went in the mail today. I'm sending back 103 seed packets. A little less than you sent but you did say I could have a couple so I took you at your word.

You sent in such a wonderful selection of seeds it was very hard to choose just a few. But I managed. I hope you are as happy with the selection that I send you as I'm with what you sent in.

-
 -
by tkhooper on November 03, 2006 10:57 PM
Cece, your evelope when out today too. I guess I was on a roll lol. Now it's just loz and me waiting for kenny and penny. But I know your going to be well worth the wait.

Hey Kenny do you remember how many seed packets were in your second envelope? If you do I can have most of your envelope made up in advance too.

This has been so great. Now I'm really looking forward to doing a big Thanksgiving Dinner. I love turkey.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on November 03, 2006 10:59 PM
Hey Tammy....in case i miss your post....whenever my seeds arrive, can you PM me please?

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on November 03, 2006 11:09 PM
Ok Penny I sure will. You may have to remind me if it takes to much longer because I forget things. But I will try to remember. I'm sure it will be in the next few days.

-
 -
by njoynit on November 03, 2006 11:17 PM
I got my seeds yesterday.My top favs?
Jelly palm
dogwood tree
Solomans seal
leapord lilly
agapanthus
amayrllis

My SIL wants some of them seeds off that jelly palm.I'd already PM'd you Bibee.she's seen them now. [clappy]

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by PartyGirl on November 03, 2006 11:19 PM
Thank you Tammy, that was really fast! I can't believe how efficient you are!

I'm thinking about sending you a private email so I can really yell at you, but I can't find my glasses to find the private email button on the screen!

I'm sure the note I sent said, "Take anything you want." There was nothing about "a couple" or "a few". I wouldn't have cared if you had taken 30 packages, girl, and if you can fish the envie out of the mailbox, go do it! Anybody who goes to all the work you went to desrves whatever she can pull out of the envelope! LOL!

Whew. I feel better. >GGG>

Thanks again for all your hard work!

PG
by bibee on November 03, 2006 11:24 PM
njoynit
I pm U back

Angela

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/bibee1990/
by tkhooper on November 04, 2006 12:25 AM
I didn't want to be greedy. I already have close to 2 hundred different kinds of seeds in my personal stash. And my trade box is full as well. I guess the garden knew that I wouldn't be here to plant next year so it decided to go all out for me. I still have a number of plants blooming out there. And the coleus completely denuded of leaves is still trying to produce seeds. I don't think it will succeed but it's something to watch their will to survive.

Well I guess it's nap time so I'm all alert for the mailman. Maybe he can suggest something I can do to get penny and kenny unstuck from the world-wide-snail-mail lol. Sorry it isn't funny. It's just when I get stressed I make jokes.

Have a great day all.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on November 04, 2006 12:32 AM
Thanks Tammy....i'll keep reminding you so that you dont forget!!

Maybe today will be the day!!!!

-
 -

-
by penny in ontario on November 04, 2006 03:12 AM
Have you tackled that "cute" mailman yet Tammy [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ...any sign of mine??

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on November 04, 2006 03:14 AM
I overslept. And he didn't leave me anything! whaaaaaa. Hopefully tomorrow.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on November 04, 2006 03:17 AM
You get mail on the weekends??

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on November 04, 2006 04:10 AM
only on Saturdays. There is no service on Sundays and Holidays.

-
 -
by loz on November 04, 2006 04:44 AM
I can't wait to see what's in my envelope, all this talk is getting me excited! [flower]
by tkhooper on November 04, 2006 05:22 AM
Well I suppose I could send your package out Loz. hummmmmmmmm, let me think a minute. Lets see I'd be all alone waiting for kenny & penny's envelopes to arrive. Well ok I guess I can mail yours tomorrow Loz. Your pretty close to me so it won't take long for it to arrive.

-
 -
by loz on November 04, 2006 05:28 AM
Oh tammy, you don't have to do that....I can wait a bit longer...I'm just getting excited reading everyone elses posts about their seeds. [Big Grin] [thumb]
by tkhooper on November 04, 2006 05:46 AM
That's ok I've got plenty to cover Penny & Kenny even if Kenny sent in 100 seed packets so no problem there. I was just waiting to see if maybe any aquatic or really strange seeds came in that I could add to your envelope. But you already have a nice selection I think. I'll mail them off tomorrow unless my mailman suprises me again and comes to early.

I imagine they will be there by Wednesday.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on November 04, 2006 05:52 AM
I got my envelope today! Thanks so much for the seeds, once again, a great selection Tammy. Now I am really eager for spring!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by kennyso on November 04, 2006 07:16 AM
Tammy, I pretty sure there isn't even 50 in that packet! My guess would be twenty or so, you can take whatever you want, I'm not looking for a packet to packet trade so keep what ever you like or give to another member who wanted some of mine, crossing my fingers they will get there tomorrow, I would hate to see it [heaven forbid] back in my mailbox when I open it monday

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by tkhooper on November 04, 2006 08:35 PM
Thanks for the info Kenny. I have my fingers crossed that they arrive today. I don't want to hear that they were returned to you again either.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on November 05, 2006 12:49 AM
Checking in for some news....listen Tammy, if my seeds are holding you up in any way...go ahead and send out whatever you have and i can wait for mine....i just hope that i am not holding you up...whatever works for you is ok with me.

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on November 05, 2006 02:34 AM
Your not holding me up sweety. There are only three of us left you, Kenny, and me. And I have alot of different types of seeds to choose from your packages when they arrive. Infact I have so many seed packages still that they cover the dinningroom table lol. And that's why I didn't have sitting space when my friend stopped by. I like to spread out. And because I can that's how I've done the seed exchange. Having the seeds spread out all over the dinningroom and livingroom. I could have done it differently and since there are only a few of us left I probably will put everything in a box. I was just waiting hoping that yours would come in soon enough that I could just finish up without the intermediate step. But it's still no problem.

-
 -
by kennyso on November 05, 2006 05:50 AM
Hi Tammy! Stopping in to see if the mail man brought you anything today!

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by tkhooper on November 05, 2006 06:38 AM
The meanie didn't bring me one little thing. Not even an advertisement. If my neighbor hadn't gotten mail I wouldn't have even know that he had come by. I guess we have to cross our fingers for Monday. I hope it shows up in my mailbox and not yours.

I did get Loz's envelope in the mail today. So that's one thing accomplished.

-
 -
by melcon6 on November 06, 2006 01:47 AM
I've been meaning to post about this all weekend. On Friday, I got my seed envelope, Thank you Tammy!!! I was so excited and on my way to the last gardening class I've been teaching with some 3rd and 4th graders, so the timing couldn't have been better! [thumb] I grabbed the envelope out of the mailbox and rushed to the school and opened it with the kids in my class. We have done a lot of seed collecting and packet making and I had packets for them anyway, so this tied right in. They asked if they could have some of the ones I had just recieved and I quickly told them, "No way, they're mine, but I'll grow these things and then I'll collect the seeds and share them with you if you're still interested" Good thing I did have some seeds all done up for them with me. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I am so excited about the seeds that Tammy selected for me. There are even things in there that I can grow indoors, so no need to wait until spring. My daughter thought it very foolish of me when I commented that I never even thought of cactus seed?? [nutz] I mean , it makes sense that everything comes from a seed, I just never even thought of cactus starting from seed!

I look at my stash every day and I'm still in awe , I've never done this swap before. All the packets are unique and special. I love bibee's teensy, tiny lil homemade packets and the ziplocs from Njoynit are a clever idea too. I'm excited about Loz sunflowers since I've just tried my hand at sunflowers this year, the deer sure did enjoy some of them. It's ok, I didn't mind sharing with them. Sarah's (LandofOz) obedient plant intrigues me to no end. I wanted so bad some hollyhocks and sure enough got some from I don't know who, no name on the pack. I got some malva from Triss, another one I've been dying to try.

This post is long, I'll have more later, I got to go dig through them again and decide which ones I can begin with! [flower] [Big Grin]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by tkhooper on November 06, 2006 06:51 AM
That is always the most difficult thing after the Fling. I want room and pots to start one of everything at least. And I don't have near the room lol. But I always manage at least a few. Good luck with the cactus. I've never had any luck with them when I've tried. Right now I'm trying an epi instead. I love those so I've got my fingers and toes crossed that they work out.

-
 -
by loz on November 06, 2006 07:34 AM
quote:
I did get Loz's envelope in the mail today. So that's one thing accomplished.

[kissies] I can't WAIT to get it....I bet it comes tomorrow or Tuesday...we aren't very far apart.

Mel your excitement is catching! It sounds like you got lots of goodies there to plant....
by Triss on November 06, 2006 12:18 PM
I know just what you mean Mel. It is so darn exciting to see the packs from all over the country. My garden is going to be so awesome next year.

Loz, you always have the most awesome zinnias, when do you plant your seeds and how?

-
 -
by tkhooper on November 06, 2006 08:17 PM
Well I have company coming over today so I finally got all the Fall Fling Seeds into a box lol. I can procrastinate with the best of them sometimes. I had a bad night with this silly tooth so I've been up for just about forever. Hopefully the medicine I just went and got will fix me right up and I'll be feeling well again soon.

Hey Loz, I bet your right. Your seeds should be there within a day or two. I hope you like what I sent. I think I doubled up on some things, because the meds I was on there for awhile really made me foggy. But they work as trade goods anyway lol.

Hi Triss, I hope you will do pictures from seedling right on through until they are mature plants. You know I love pictures. Even though with my computer it takes them hours to load. Well maybe not hours but a long time lol.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on November 06, 2006 09:50 PM
Fingers crossed today Tammy....i hope they get there~~!

-
 -

-
by loz on November 06, 2006 10:35 PM
Guess what I just got! [grin]

Tammy I love everything and every second of taping and cutting packets was worth it! Thank you so much, I just can't believe the assortment of seeds that are laying here on my loveseat!

I love it all! [kissies]
by penny in ontario on November 06, 2006 10:38 PM
[clappy] [clappy] [clappy] [thumb] Cool.

-
 -

-
by loz on November 06, 2006 10:41 PM
I love how roflol used change wrappers for packets...that was too funny, and an idea I might have to use in the future.... [Wink]

I still can't get over ALL of these seeds! [shocked]
by penny in ontario on November 06, 2006 10:55 PM
Now i want mine [tears] ....they'll get there [thumb]

-
 -

-
by sibyl on November 06, 2006 10:57 PM
[clappy] glad you got your seeds Loz!
its so exciting! i still keep peeking at all my seeds! i cant seem to stop! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by penny in ontario on November 06, 2006 11:03 PM
Its addicting isnt it Sibyl~~! [thumb]

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on November 06, 2006 11:03 PM
Hey loz did you see that I managed to find one pond plant seed packet for your pond? When that came in I knew that you were the one that would get that packet.

Well I'm going to try to be awake for the postman today so I can ask him about the canadian packages and having a address unknown stamp put on one. Grrrrh. Do I sound scary? Probably not, I'm a push over.

Your seed envelopes are pretty much made up so I may just send them on. I don't want you to have to wait until your hip deep in snow before you get your seeds. That wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on November 06, 2006 11:21 PM
Thats ok Tammy....you go ahead and do whatever works best for you....works for me!

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: