The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Transplanting corn?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Marina on May 08, 2006 03:28 AM
Hello there [Smile]

Thanks to the extremely helpful folks on this forum I found out I planted my corn wrong [Wink]

Is it possible to take the corn I have planted and transplant it in the 4 x 4 row configuration that seems needed for corn? The plants about about 3-4 inched tall at this point.

Thanks for any tips, I can always just start over, luckily I had some extra corn seeds [Smile]
by peppereater on May 08, 2006 06:10 AM
How did you plant it?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Marina on May 08, 2006 08:53 AM
In one longish line [Wink]
by Deborah L. on May 08, 2006 08:55 AM
Marina, I don't see why not - I see 6 packs of corn about 3" tall, for sale in the nurseries.

-
 -
by Marina on May 08, 2006 08:57 AM
Thanks Deborah! That makes me feel a lot better about it. I just wonder what the best way to get it out of the ground without damaging it.
by Deborah L. on May 08, 2006 09:23 AM
If it were me, I'd use my bare hands so I could feel the root ball, and then take a big piece of the soil so as not to tear any roots.
And of course, have the new planting holes already dug.
What kind of corn is it?

-
 -
by Longy on May 08, 2006 10:55 AM
Blocks are best for corn, rather than rows, to aid pollination. It's not absolutely imperative, just that you get a better number of kernels on the corn. You'll still get OK pollination in a row.
However, consider putting in a second row of the same type of corn in front of the one you already planted. That'll give you the pollination and you won't have to transplant.

Either way, a drink of liquid seaweed or kelp extract before and transplanting seedlings will reduce transplant shock. Always transplant once the heat of the day has passed and water well afterwards.
Oh the liquid seaweed, that's for the plants, not for you OK!

-
The secret is the soil.
by weezie13 on May 08, 2006 11:46 AM
I have read that corn also resents being moved..
And direct seeding should be the best way,
I'd do what longy suggested and just replant move along side of it the right way...

***How many days has it been planted in the long row???***

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: