The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Transplanting Help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by somer on April 20, 2006 05:23 AM
Hi everyone. I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on transplanting. I have a container garden, thanks to a fire ant problem in my yard. I have green beans, okra, and cucumbers that need to be thinned out. Is there a certain time of the day that would be best? How can I do it with the least amount of stress on the plants?

Thanks!
by Triss on April 20, 2006 05:27 AM
I try and do mine either late in the evening or early in the morning if they are outside plants. Much less chance of them frying in the sun.

Cucumbers may not take to well to transplanting. How large are all of these plants?

When I take a plant out of an established container I use a long thin spoon to get under the plant and to get as many roots as possible, trying not to rip them as I am pulling it out. Then water really well and keep a good eye on them all especially in your heat.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by somer on April 20, 2006 05:37 AM
Thanks for the advice. The cucumbers may be able to stay since they are not as thick as the others. The greenbeans are about 4 inches tall and getting really thick. I noticed several baby plants coming up underneath so I wanted to move some so they would be sure to get enough sun. The okra and cucumbers are only about 2 inches tall. They are all planted in containers outside.
by Deborah L. on April 20, 2006 05:40 AM
I always use my bare hands to dig out my container plants. I just feel more confident, because I can feel where the root ball ends.
Of course, it's hard on the nails, but any excuse for a manicure !
I have never lost a plant using this method.
I have lost alot of nails..... [Big Grin]

-
 -
by somer on April 20, 2006 07:14 AM
I have been using my hands too. I have a bad habit of biting my nails anyway. I am going to try transplanting either later tonight or early in the morning. I will let you know how it goes. What about watering the soil before transplanting? I read somewhere that you should. Is that better or should you just water them well after you plant them?
by Triss on April 20, 2006 07:19 AM
I would water if the soil is dry and hard to work with, if not, then I would afterwards.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Deborah L. on April 20, 2006 07:28 AM
I water deeply after transplanting. The plants come up in one solid piece when dry-ish. I keep a plant out of the sun for 24 hours after transplanting.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: