The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Transplanting Bulbs ??????

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: transplanting azaleas| Next thread: Transplanting corn? »
Back to Thread index
by KKMedic on March 27, 2006 08:22 AM
I thought I had the perfect idea to begin transplanting... since everything is blooming here... my daffodils have already bloomed and finished. So I was thinking perhaps I could dig some of the bulbs as they finish their pretty display to be able to take to our new home. Dilemma: Should I give them more time to die down and feed back into the bulb or should they be ok to go ahead and dig up without causing any problems for next year?
(Does that make sense?) [lala]

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. -Mother Teresa

Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's sould remains unawakened."   ~Anatole France
by rozy221 on March 27, 2006 11:24 AM
Hi KK! I would wait as long as possible, but, as long as you leave the green leaves on you should be ok. I got a bunch from a neighbor one year-I stuck them in a bucket of dirt until I got around to planting them. The foliage just flopped over once I planted, but I still left it on, and they seemed to bloom fine the next year. Just try to disturb the roots as little as possible...good luck!
by patches1414 on March 27, 2006 12:54 PM
Hi KK! [wavey]

When I moved mine, I just dug up clumps of them and left the dirt intact so they really weren't disturbed. I put them in plastic bags so they were easy to transport, then took them to their new home and planted them. I don't think they noticed any difference. [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by KKMedic on March 27, 2006 10:54 PM
When I plant them at the new house, should I leave the dying back leaves out, or is it ok to cover them with dirt (rather than having floppy dying back greenery everywhere?)

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. -Mother Teresa

Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's sould remains unawakened."   ~Anatole France
by netty on March 27, 2006 11:13 PM
Hi KKMedic [wavey]
I have dug up bulbs after flowering many times. I leave the foliage on and put them in a plastic milk crates with holes so they can breathe and leave them in a dry place. I've left them like that all summer and planted them back up in the fall with some bulb booster and they were just fine. By the time I planted them, the foliage was dry and easy to get off.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: transplanting azaleas| Next thread: Transplanting corn? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: