The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Gardenia Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Gardenia Plant| Next thread: Gardenia plant »
Back to Thread index
by Juliofan on November 18, 2004 09:30 PM
I received a beautiful Gardenia Plant when my son passed away in April. We planted it and it thrived beautifully with lush green, shiney leaves and many blossoms. Now, in MA, it is getting very cold and I was advised to bring the plant indoors. We potted it in a very large planter as it is growing very big, but since we brought it in the leaves are turning yellow and I want so much to keep this plant alive. I may have overwatered it when I saw the leaves turning, but am now just misting it. Can the plant be reversed by the right care and, if not, can cuttings be taken & rooted in water to start a new plant next summer? I am not a gardener (except my naiden name...Gardner...LOL...but I thought I might find answers on this site. I'd appreciate any information that could help. Please email me at: foji@comcast.net. Thank you so very much. [wayey]
by weezie13 on November 19, 2004 06:02 AM
Hello Juliofan,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!
We are very glad you found us!!!

I am not too well versed in the plant that you asked about, but I just wanted to let you know
I was going to move your post into the HOUSE PLANT SECTION, there's alot more house plant gardener's that go thru there and are better able to help you....

Weezie

P/S Sincerely sorry to hear about your son...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Will Creed on November 20, 2004 04:34 AM
Your Gardenia is reacting to the drastic change from outdoors to inside. Inside, the light is greatly reduced and the temps are far warmer. The sudden change stresses plants.

Gardenias are not easy to bloom indoors because they have rather strict temperature requirements. Temperatures between 55 and 65 degrees are essential when gardenias are in bud or bloom. Bud drop occurs above 70 degrees. Bud deformity occurs below 55 degrees. Letting the soil get too dry will also cause bud drop. In addition, a change in environment will also sometimes cause bud drop. Do not repot or fertilize when buds are in formation or in bloom
Direct sunlight, high humidity, and acidic soil (5.0 pH) are also important for maintaining gardenias successfully. Avoid repotting until it is utterly potbound. Use an acid fertilizer, such as Miracid, but don't overdo it. Good luck with this challenging plant.

Gardenias can bloom at almost any time of the year. Flower buds form according to the following regimen: Prune back old growth (usually in spring); promote new growth with lots of light and warm temps during the day (summer); allow temps to drop to 60 degrees at night (fall or early winter). It is up to you to decide when you want to introduce this regimen. Obviously, it is harder to achieve the lower nighttime temps during the summer.

It is difficult for most people to provide these conditions. Some are satisfied to keep a gardenia as a foliage plant.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Gardenia Plant| Next thread: Gardenia plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: